daniel mahlknecht
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Italy - South Tyrol

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi,
there is actually a ELEMACK CRICKET DOLLY Mk1. on E-bay at a price that sounds reasonable to me, at least if it can compete in some ways with the MovieTech Magnum leggero.
I'm actually working with a MovieTech Magnum leggero in its most simple version, with yust a Bazooke, and no hydraulic column. As there are no rentals colose to where I live and work most of the time buying a dolly would be interesting. My concerns abouth the ELEMACK CRICKET DOLLY Mk1. are that it seems that the hydraulik column can not me removed ant that therefore it might be much heavier than the Magnum with a Bazooka. Does anyone have experience with these 2 dollies? Also the ELEMACK has flat track tires, while I always work with round ones, probably they will not run verry well on round tracks, or does it work?
As for the movement features thy seem pretty the same at least from what I can understand from the fotos.

thanks
Daniel

#2 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

I used one on a shoot once and it was pretty decent - very heavy to lift, but gave a very smooth dolly move. It had the same wheels as the one in the picture and the did squeak and rub on the tighter corner track.

The only major issue we had was how much oil it leaked - we ruined a wooden staircase carrying it down. I've heard stories about other leaky Elemack's so its something to watch. Not a deal breaker but we had to be careful to protect floors when we used one.

#3 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

Servus Daniel, und Schöne Grüße an den Südtirol,

The Elemack Cricket has a mechanically driven column, whereas the Magnum, Panther and GFM dollies use a pressurized gas cylinder. You will have extreme difficulty getting parts and service for an Elemack Cricket, so you might want to look in to that issue first.

Oil leaking is a classic problem with the Elemack Spider dollies, the precursor to the Cricket. This almost always is a result of somebody pumping up the column before unlocking the risers. That permanently damages the seals, and - what a surprise - they leak oil.

Elemack has good track wheels, but you'll want to see if they are integrated wheels, or if you have to swap the studio wheels for track wheels.

Wick

Edited by Warwick Hempleman, 03 July 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#4 daniel mahlknecht

daniel mahlknecht
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Italy - South Tyrol

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies,
actually I think that the Elemack is not the right choice for south tyrol where I work mostly, as it appears to be to heavy for the lokal productions (100kg I think), and to old for the bigger produktions coming from Germany or Italy, as the probably will prefer to bring a Magnum Dolly from Munich or Milan. I was hoping that the Elemack was somehow like the Magnum leggero basic in terms of weight (64kg) which kan relatively easily be handled by 2 persons, and would be upgradable in the future if needed.
For my own productions at this point renting is still the better and cheaper choice, as I don't need a dolly to often.

Daniel

#5 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replies,
actually I think that the Elemack is not the right choice for south tyrol where I work mostly, as it appears to be to heavy for the lokal productions
Daniel

If you are looking for lightweight, ask Wick to hook you up with a fisher 9 ;)

#6 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:06 AM

If you are looking for lightweight, ask Wick to hook you up with a fisher 9 ;)

..Not!

#7 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

Das wär womöglich ne Alternative, und auch noch bei dir um´s Eck abzuholen:

http://cgi.ebay.de/w...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Frank

#8 daniel mahlknecht

daniel mahlknecht
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Italy - South Tyrol

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

the GFM-Quad Filmdolly really would seem the perfect choice, unfortunately I got outbid for yust 10€...

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine