No replies to this topic

#1 Patrick ODonnell

Patrick ODonnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

It looks like I will be shooting a low/no budget documentary in the fall in Europe and the US. I have a US Canon XH-A1 with which I'm planning to shoot the interview footage. I'm planning to rent 3 or 4 other cameras for shooting concerts. The problem is that, I believe cameras rented in Europe will run at 50Hz (25p), while those rented in the US will run at 60Hz (24p or 30p). So unless I can afford to buy the extra cameras to use in both continents (unlikely at this point), I will have to mix the footage when editing.

1)How much of a headache is this?

2) Is it better to mix 30p and 25p, or 24p and 25p?

3)Is it feasible to mix 24p/30p and 25p footage from the same concert? I'm guessing no, because of sync sound issues (though the sound will be recorded separately to hard drive).

4)If I get financing, it will be from a European TV station for broadcast. I am guessing they will demand the broadcast version in 25p. I would need a 24p or 30p version for submission on DVD to US festivals. Is it easier to edit to 25p and then convert to 24p or 30p, or vice versa?

My ignorance has no end of surprises for me, but any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam