anup k

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

Hello everyone...

For a feature project currently getting to completion we have two options for scanning and grading or Super 16 negatives at two different facilities.

Option 1. Spirit scanner and Lustre grading software

Option 2. Imagica scanner and Nucoda grading software

I went through the brochures / info available and both the scanners have more or less same specifications (except Spirit is continuous scanning and Imagica is pull down.)

It seems the grading software depends a lot on the skills of the Colorist.

We took a test on the option 2 and printed on both Fuji and Kodak positive stock on a Cinevator. The results were decent. It was very difficult to find a difference with both the stock.

But I am wondering if Option 1 is better compared to Option 2. I am not in a position to do a test on Option 1...the reason for this post.

Does anyone got any experience in working on these platforms.

Cost-wise the Option 2 is 25% cheaper...so my natural tendency is to go for that.

Thanking you,

AK

#2 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

It seems the grading software depends a lot on the skills of the Colorist.

You just answered your own question. The equipment choices are irrelevant unless you happen to be building a DI facility. If you're just finishing a movie, you should be looking at the people - the colorist, the in house producers, and other people that you'll be dealing with. Everything else is unimportant if it's professional level gear, which from what you described, it is. All modern color grading systems, scanners, recorders, and conforming systems do basically the same thing. They just don't all have the same people running them.

#3 anup k

anup k

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:44 AM

You just answered your own question. The equipment choices are irrelevant unless you happen to be building a DI facility. If you're just finishing a movie, you should be looking at the people - the colorist, the in house producers, and other people that you'll be dealing with. Everything else is unimportant if it's professional level gear, which from what you described, it is. All modern color grading systems, scanners, recorders, and conforming systems do basically the same thing. They just don't all have the same people running them.

Thank you for your reply...gives me a confidence to make a decision. :)

#4 brandon esten

brandon esten

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • USA / China

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Option 2. Imagica scanner and Nucoda grading software

I know it's a long shot, but would anyone happen to have a lead as to where to get a copy of the install disks of the Imagica 3000 V scanner software (IRIX OS)? I have been trying to contact Imagica but to no avail... besides, the software is nearly 15 years old at this point, unless they did updates which I highly doubt...

B

#5 Bert Smith

Bert Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:23 AM

So what happened???

I'm sure quite a few of us have been waiting to know the final decisions, and hear/see the results.

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Opal