#1 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi,

I was going to use my camera yesterday. I had it out and was getting ready for a shoot. I saw some dust on the view finder and wiped it with a lens cloth, the piece of glass moved in slightly when touch and then sprung back as if it had a spring behind it. I never noticed this before. Now I cannot get a sharp image in the viewfinder and there is a slight rattling sound inside it. It seems as if I dislodged something. Is there anyway to fix this other than sending it into the shop? Is there a safe way to remove and examine the viewfinder?

#2 Robert Capria

Robert Capria
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • NYC

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

I have a Nizo 6080 and never had this happen. I'm not an expert on the camera but I know they are
delicate. It might be tricky to take apart unless you are mechanically inclined and have the right
miniature tools. If you've never had your camera serviced before and you are serious about filming
in Super 8, it might be worth the $200-$300 to get it checked out and completely serviced. The Nizo
6080 is one of the best Super 8 cameras and is probably worth keeping in great shape so you can use
it with confidence for years to come. Call Du-All Camera in NYC for pricing. There are other places
as well out there.

Bests,

Robert

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:57 PM

I have a Nizo 6080 and never had this happen. I'm not an expert on the camera but I know they are
delicate. It might be tricky to take apart unless you are mechanically inclined and have the right
miniature tools. If you've never had your camera serviced before and you are serious about filming
in Super 8, it might be worth the $200-$300 to get it checked out and completely serviced. The Nizo
6080 is one of the best Super 8 cameras and is probably worth keeping in great shape so you can use
it with confidence for years to come. Call Du-All Camera in NYC for pricing. There are other places
as well out there.

Bests,

Robert

they just serviced the camera in February, so I guess it has to go back. I hope it won't cost that much. It is a great camera, holds sync, so far, for over a minute without any crystal mod. It also has a max 8 gate. I love it dearly.

#4 Robert Capria

Robert Capria
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • NYC

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

they just serviced the camera in February, so I guess it has to go back. I hope it won't cost that much. It is a great camera, holds sync, so far, for over a minute without any crystal mod. It also has a max 8 gate. I love it dearly.

Hi Chris,

It's probably worth the money. Where do you live? Hopefully it's a minor issue but I imagine
it will be minimum $100 because they probably charge $50 an hour for servicing. I know that
Du-All charges $50 (non-refundable) for assessing what is wrong with the camera.

By the way, I shot a music video with my Nizo 6080 today. I used an .6 ND filter for for the
first few hours (12pm to 2pm) and then changed that for a UV Filter. Most of shots were around
F-5.6. I'm not worried about exposure as much as focus. I kept re-setting my viewfinder diopter
all day (lining up a vertical object over 100 meters away). I was using the white dot setting
on the lens which I believe is the manual focus marking. I was a little afraid to get to close
to my subjects so I stayed about 5 or 6 feet away. I would zoom in and set sharp focus on their
face and then zoom back all the way or most of the way to set a frame.

I've shot with this camera once before an almost all of it came out in focus. However, the shots
were all wide shots at distance of old forts, etc so I wasn't dealing with close ups. I hope I
was going about it the right away because I'm a bit nervous that it might be out of focus or at
least soft.

Let me know what you think. I would appreciate it.

Robert

#5 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

What do you mean dust on the "viewfinder"? Do you mean the rear eyepiece? I'm not sure how you would have gotten access to the internal viewfinder optics.

If it's the eyepiece, then all you did was just mess up the setting because it wasn't locked. It would definitely move that way. So just re-adjust it according to the instructions, which you can find online in about 2 or 3 locations.

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

What do you mean dust on the "viewfinder"? Do you mean the rear eyepiece? I'm not sure how you would have gotten access to the internal viewfinder optics.

If it's the eyepiece, then all you did was just mess up the setting because it wasn't locked. It would definitely move that way. So just re-adjust it according to the instructions, which you can find online in about 2 or 3 locations.

Dust on the outer surface. right next to my eyeball. I was wiping it clear when the glass itself pushed in and then sprung back out. I don't think that I can fix it, it seems to be an internal element of the viewfinder has come loose. It will not focus no matter what I do. I am sending it to Du All.

In regards to getting sharp focus, there is the focal plane mark on the body which you can use with measuring tape. Also if shooting at ƒ5.6 with super 8, you should have a rather deep focus.

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products