#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:21 AM

My best friend has finally attempted to make the jump into super 8 this year. He's going on a trip to South America this fall and really looking forward to documenting it on S8. I helped him pick out a Nizo 801 macro and it finally arrived a few days ago. Camera looks super clean on the outside, perfect lense. So today we loaded some batteries and dry tested the motor and meter... all worked just fine. Then we picked up a UV filter, shade, cap, 4 rolls of film, and headed out for an S8 tutorial and fun day of shooting. I loaded a cartridge, pulled the trigger and the motor struggled for a few seconds untill it came to a halt and just buzzed. So i pulled out the cartridge and motor ran fine again. Then I loaded it into my Nizo 481 to see if it was just a bad cart, but my camera ran it just fine... Back into the 801 and same problem. Seems like it just needs a good cleaning and lube inside. Is there anyone, or any place in the US (preferably west coast) that can service a Nizo?

I feel just horrible that my buddy has spent almost $400 so far hoping to get into S8, only to be immediatly stuffed by the formats biggest challenge... old, unpredictable cameras. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated-

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

Sorry if I can't help you with West Coast addresses. Best calls for Super 8 CLA work in Europe for Nizo (Braun) would be info@kino-video-technik-schacherl.de or info@ziegler-ag-fototechnik.ch . There are several others like Geissler but I don't have e-mail address ready as I am currently travelling.
I doubt that Bjorn Andersson is accepting Nizo work, but you could give it a go. His email can be found here on the forum, if not, PM me.
But really every mechanically skilled camera maintenance shop should be able to "grasp" the Nizo constuction and do basic lube work.

I feel just horrible that my buddy has spent almost $400 so far hoping to get into S8, only to be immediatly stuffed by the formats biggest challenge... old, unpredictable cameras. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated-

Sorry if the following sentence will aggravate you and don't seem to be very helpful, but it has been said time and time again here since the days of the legendary santo haunting this forum: Never buy 2nd hand and assume things will be working out of the box. Always assume that up to 1/3 of the market price needs to go on top for TLC if you buy from a reputable seller and the device looks well-cared for. If it looks nakered, assume it might well become a write-off at purchase.

I really don't find the comment of "stuffed by the format....old unpredictable cameras" helpful, as ANY mechanical gear needs CLA, whether its a Nizo 801 macro, a 1975 Arriflex 35 BL, a 1968 Eclair 16 NPR or a 1996 Arri 16 SR III MS. Cameras are old, but they are only unpredictable if you don't assume responsibility for taking care of them and/or acknowledge the needs for TLC work as integral part and cost position of the purchase. Every camera I bought went through TLC, even if some might not have looked as they needed it. But once that was done, they have run effortless, some for nearly 20 years now without a new top-up CLA, particularly Nizo silent-bodies, Bauer A-models and Beaulieu 4008-series. I use 40 to 50 year old mechanical gear every day, while my electronic and digital cameras die and are essentially unrepairable after a decade or so. That's not a dig at digital, BTW.

So this ain't about the Super 8 format alone, no one get's "stuffed" by the format or its old cameras. You wouldn't buy a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible and assume it would't need an oil change and a new camshaft just because the seller told you it runs like new and it's bodywork is cosmetically sound. Neither would you immedialtey depart to a cross-continental trip with it from West to East Coast, right? I'd assumed so. So please don't think the same about cameras, irrespective for which format.

Apologies for the harsh words,

/Michael

#3 Gary Lemson

Gary Lemson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Other
  • Santa Cruz Mountains

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

... Is there anyone, or any place in the US (preferably west coast)...

Try Spectra Film & Video in N. Hollywood.

http://www.spectrafi...om/Cameras.html

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Thanks guys. It may just have to rely on someone locally with universal knowlege on electrical/mechanical repair. Michael- I understand what your saying about second hand expectations. With S8 camera shopping, you go for the best bet and keep your fingers crossed. The cost of TLC is usually included in the cost of the initial price... with the likelyhood that it will work, based on the sellers add. "found it at an estate, don't know how it works, no way of testing it" ect... as opposed to, "mint contition, tested, all functions work as they should"... as was the case with this camera. It not like other more popular formats, or video especially. Where there is an abundant supply of new cameras, parts and service. You get a super 8 camera, if your lucky it works. You use it till it stops working, then toss it and try to find your next one. There are a few exceptions with Canon or Beaulieu service, but the option to TLC and renew most S8 cameras just isn't there... as you can see by how many Nizo repeir men have been referred to on this thread so far. Thats not to encouraging or sustaining of new people entering the format. With someone more seasoned, your more likely to find a better bet, and send it to the other side of the world to have it serviced. Most newby's would just go to Best Buy instead.

#5 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Anthony,

Du-all in NY repair many kinds of Super-8 cameras:

//http://www.duallcamera.com/

Not West Coast, but they are one of the good places for the format.

Claus.

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Technodolly