New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • France

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hello!

I used to film many thing, kids playing, people catching fish, dancing grannies ect.. more look/expression in HD and i have enpigh, too much in the details, the color, the camera, the story... so, i decided to sell my cameras. Since i've bought some super 8 cameras on ebay, (one didn't work, motor was kill; one other a wire from the batteries was broken;;; ect) now i have a pretty working one with some soldering it's "works". Nothing eleet but, i'm happy about it.

There is a outdoor cinema that i made too (i life in the country side) so i have many questions:
Is it possible develope your old films? And i don't want to use the "Sankyo Delux 8" [cool name!] projector, i would prefer to get my film and digitalise it in order to cut it from a computer and the projector already installed (the screen is about 12m away).

I'm not being very precise, sorry, i'd wish you to give some info and im google friendly and vis versa!

You have a film, do you send it somewhere (to where? Europ?)? You get what back? If you want to process it from your computer what do you do it? I was looking some progessing compagnies and there ask for 40€ for a DVD, in extra for the processing.

Thanks for reading this,
Hope you understand, i'm clueless.

Oliver Stocks.

#2 John Young

John Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Other
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hello!

First, if you would, please change your name to you Real Full name, as stated in the Forum Rules.

After that, some companies will sell you Super8 film including processing for one price. But, if you want to get it into a computer, you will have to have it scanned in. http://www.cinelicious.tv/ looks really good, and I have seen some great results. There is always Pro8mm, who some like and some don't.

There are ways to process your film at home, and there are even companies that sell machines that will allow you to scan in your own 8mm film into your own computer. Since I'm lazy, I would just send it to a lab, but you may want to look into that.

There are many Super8 communities around, give us a little more detail on what kind of camera you have and we may be able to provide better information.

#3 mrstocks

mrstocks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • France

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

Hi, first of all I'm Oliver Stocks, once i figure out how to change it i will do so. ;)

The camera i have bought recently are includes :

• Sankyo super micro cm
  • Chinon 44
  • Canon 514XL-S

The film i have after a few Kodak Ektachrome 100D which seems the best for the starters, as i my intention is not to in and make full movie, start by little and work up. I will start with the Canon and maybe make a few tapes with the others to see what is what.

Where do you developer your film? And Where do you send them?
Telecine is the way to digital film to be processed on your Hard Drive?

Oliver Stocks.

#4 mrstocks

mrstocks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Director
  • France

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:50 AM

Before i start, does this price sound correct?

• Transfert 22,50€ x8 = 180,00€
  • 8 films Ekta100D 17,12€ x8 = 136,96€
  • Developement 17,50 x8 = 140,00€
  • The mails fee = 10,50€
  • TOTAL = 467,60€
  • -30% Off = 140,24€
  • TOTAL so total = 327,22€

#5 Fred Neilsen

Fred Neilsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

Before i start, does this price sound correct?

• Transfert 22,50€ x8 = 180,00€
  • 8 films Ekta100D 17,12€ x8 = 136,96€
  • Developement 17,50 x8 = 140,00€
  • The mails fee = 10,50€
  • TOTAL = 467,60€
  • -30% Off = 140,24€
  • TOTAL so total = 327,22€

Yes, it is an expensive medium but you could probably get it for less if you shop around, though there isn't as much room for negotiation in price for super 8 as there is for 16mm or 35mm, you can still pin one lab against another if you are considering or planing larger quantities, you may be surprised at how much of a discount you can get by begging and crying "student film" - my new favorite line is "I know I'm just a student, but I really want to experience 35mm (or film...) before it disappears"

As for home development, yes it can be done (sometimes cheaper than labs) though black and white is the easiest as the temperatures aren't as critical and the chemistry isn't that toxic, all you need is a standard developer and fixer (you can make a stop bath out of white vinegar and water) though this will produce a negative image out of the standard black and white reversal film, the reversal (slide) process is a bit more complicated in black and white, as it requires a second exposure and complex bleaches...\

Colour negative and Slide can be done BUT, temperature is critical (well not really as the results aren't going to be perfect and colour shifts will only add to the look) Hobby kits can be purchased at large photo stores, the C-41 is the standard for negative and E6 is used for slide, you can get interesting results by cross processing, running slide film through C-41 and Visa Versa... There are several methods, the Bucket Process (purchase 4 buckets, Water, Developer, Blix and Stabiliser) and dunk the film into the different buckets. After you have processed the film you have to remove the Rem Jet (carbon) backing with a sponge and some water, make sure to not get any of the carbon onto the emulsion as it will stain it... This is a fiddly procedure and takes some time and care. Note that your results will be wacky, experimental and full of lovely scratches and colour shifts :)

On a side note, have you considered using negative film, the new Vision 3 line is very clean and crisp (which might not be the look your going for) as your only going to be scanning the film, this could be a viable alternative, its also probably going to work out cheaper, as more labs process ECN-2 (the negative process in motion pictures)

J'amerais ecrir en français mais mon orthographe n'est pas très bien,

Frederik

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hello!

I used to film many thing, kids playing, people catching fish, dancing grannies ect.. more look/expression in HD and i have enpigh, too much in the details, the color, the camera, the story... so, i decided to sell my cameras. Since i've bought some super 8 cameras on ebay, (one didn't work, motor was kill; one other a wire from the batteries was broken;;; ect) now i have a pretty working one with some soldering it's "works". Nothing eleet but, i'm happy about it.

There is a outdoor cinema that i made too (i life in the country side) so i have many questions:
Is it possible develope your old films? And i don't want to use the "Sankyo Delux 8" [cool name!] projector, i would prefer to get my film and digitalise it in order to cut it from a computer and the projector already installed (the screen is about 12m away).

I'm not being very precise, sorry, i'd wish you to give some info and im google friendly and vis versa!

You have a film, do you send it somewhere (to where? Europ?)? You get what back? If you want to process it from your computer what do you do it? I was looking some progessing compagnies and there ask for 40€ for a DVD, in extra for the processing.

Thanks for reading this,
Hope you understand, i'm clueless.

Oliver Stocks.

Go to www.super8wiki.com there is a page on that site which lists super 8 labs and transfer houses around the world. It is a very informative site. I think that you should be able to a better deal than the prices you listed. many places in Germany and Netherlands which do excellent work.

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets