#1 Ronald Carrion

Ronald Carrion
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hi, A while ago I posted my two weddings on vimeo. How do you think it could have been etter?
I will greatly appreciate a few minutes of your time to watch them and say something about it.

Thank you.

Link:

Edited by Ronald Carrion, 10 July 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#2 John Young

John Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Other
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

Hi, A while ago I posted my two weddings on vimeo. How do you think it could have been etter?
I will greatly appreciate a few minutes of your time to watch them and say something about it.

Thank you.

Link:

I thought the Sherry and Edward was fantastic. Tho I couldn't figure out why the frame started jumping there at the end. I LOVED the big pull back at the end, very classic. I liked the intercut scenes during the vows. I did think that the vow scene was a bit long, and could not figure out why only the wife got subtitles.

Good work.

#3 Fred Neilsen

Fred Neilsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Super 8 is the ultimate medium for a wedding isn't it :) After going to a few recently, I must say that the wedding "videographer" can get bloody intrusive, particularly with a massive JVC on their shoulders, and then when you see the sub standard tapes you cringe and go "what if..." "it would have looked so good if it had been shot on film..." It's nice to see there's an option to get that amazing s8 look.

Fred

#4 Ronald Carrion

Ronald Carrion
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

I thought the Sherry and Edward was fantastic. Tho I couldn't figure out why the frame started jumping there at the end. I LOVED the big pull back at the end, very classic. I liked the intercut scenes during the vows. I did think that the vow scene was a bit long, and could not figure out why only the wife got subtitles.

Good work.

Hello John, thank you for your time and your review.

I was told at the lab where the film was developed (Pro8mm in Burbank, CA) that, apparently, the film was jumping because there was something going on with the right functioning of the camera. I was never very convinced of that because in other parts of the same wedding there is no jumping so I think it could have been the film in the magazine. In a second thought, it could have been too, that because the camera was on a tripod which was on a garden, the stability failed when the camera started rolling, producing that jumping.

Anyway, I didn't have that problem again. It did bother me the first time I saw it, though.

John, this was my first wedding ever. I had never done a wedding before, not even on video. So, I thought, "OK. I going to film just a few parts of the ceremony, a bit here and there, in order to save film". However, to my surprise, there was a script for the whole ceremony. Even the jokes were in there. And, as a request of the bride, and for the sake of the funny moment forever on film, the ceremony had to be filmed entirely. To my financial relieve, the length of the ceremony was way shorter than I thought, just a few minutes, unlike the ones in my country (Peru) where weddings last around one hour.

The reason of the inter-cuts doesn't obey esthetic reasons, it was simply because is right in those moments in which I had to change the film roll , so, in order to avoid a few seconds of nothingness a placed romantic takes of the couple in those spaces. I filmed a lot that day, so the romantic takes of the couple came in handy when needed. The magic of editing, you know.

Finally, the subtitles. Well, after the new wife saw the first cut of the film, she asked me to include subtitles of her part because she was so emotional in that moment that she couldn't speak clearly. Even-though the officiant is saying the same words, and you can hear him, she still wanted to have the words of her vows as subtitles as proof that her vows were there. I understood, so I made them.

John, thank you one more time, and if you want to see more of this wedding, just go my Youtube page right in my profile.

Cheers.

Ronald.

#5 Ronald Carrion

Ronald Carrion
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:27 AM

Super 8 is the ultimate medium for a wedding isn't it :) After going to a few recently, I must say that the wedding "videographer" can get bloody intrusive, particularly with a massive JVC on their shoulders, and then when you see the sub standard tapes you cringe and go "what if..." "it would have looked so good if it had been shot on film..." It's nice to see there's an option to get that amazing s8 look.

Fred

I totally agree , Fred.

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Metropolis Post