1 reply to this topic

#1 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Nicely shot continuation of the myth. No meat, just straight into it. And it works - I had good time.

Slightly too tight (as is the norm these days), but Gyula Pados, HSC, did a fine job lighting it. He did a marvelous job on The Duchess a couple of years ago, so it's good to see him tackle another genre here. I like how he lights spaces and not people. Genesis footage is pretty much the best I've seen - especially for the "video killer": the jungle. This is where video falls apart normally, but it holds well here. Some of it is due to the underexposure and the control of highlights with smoke, but still a very good job keeping it all in check. Just compare it to the jungle shots in Che, and you'll see what I mean.

#2 Chris D Walker

Chris D Walker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Other
  • Cornwall, United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

I saw Predators Tuesday night; a big improvement over the AvP films (I paid to see Requiem in the theater), not so much an improvement on the original nor the sequel which I enjoy a lot.

I share those thoughts about it looking great footage from the Genesis. From the trailer I thought it was Super35 but while watching the film there were a handful of shots that have that motion you can get from a digital camera. There was also an issue with one scene where the image looks as if it was brightened in post and the blacks were hit badly (the waterfall scene). Beside those minor points, it was effective.

Despite a few nags about the story and editing, it's solid and entertaining enough, and I was in the right frame of mind when I went to see it.

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc