#1 Brad Hodgson

Brad Hodgson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hey all,

If you've got the time, please visit my Kickstarter page for my new short experimental short film... I'm trying to get a little bit of extra funding to help pay the cast and crew what they deserve to be paid... you can get some cool rewards for your contributions.

If you hate the teaser/concept, no worries... thanks for your time.

http://kck.st/aaOmWZ

About me:

Brad is an award-winning filmmaker, musician, illustrator, and motion graphics artist in Kansas City. His most recent film was selected to be included on Paste magazine's sampler DVD distributed to 20,000 VIP subscribers and the winner of several festival awards nationwide.

Thanks again,

Brad

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Sure I'm happy to help here's a site that will prove very useful so that you can finance your short film. It's been used effectively by thousands of short film makers before you:

http://www.visa.com

Failing that here's another tried and proven method you can use:

http://www.mcstate.com/careers/

R,

#3 Brad Hodgson

Brad Hodgson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hey, funny!

It's a reward thing... I'm spending money and effort to thank people for contributing. But hey, it's cool. You think it's stupid, no problem... maybe just ignore the post then! Thanks!

Sure I'm happy to help here's a site that will prove very useful so that you can finance your short film. It's been used effectively by thousands of short film makers before you:

http://www.visa.com

Failing that here's another tried and proven method you can use:

http://www.mcstate.com/careers/

R,

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Need help funding short film

You and everyone else...

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I guess Boddington's point is: Most of us here need help getting our projects off the ground. We sometimes get people who ask for contributions to their projects, but it always seems to come back to this, even if it is just hinted at: How is YOUR project more deserving than my project, for example, or anyone else's, for that matter?

Thus, the consensus also seems to be: You are own your own. That leaves the options to fund your project through CC debt (as a lot of us do), get a second job (as a lot of us also do), ask your parents, girl / boyfriend, relatives for money and other more creative ways to secure filming funds. ;)

Good luck.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 16 July 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#6 Brad Hodgson

Brad Hodgson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

I guess Boddington's point is: Most of us here need help getting our projects off the ground. We sometimes get people who ask for contributions to their projects, but it always seems to come back to this, even if it is just hinted at: How is YOUR project more deserving than my project, for example, or anyone else's, for that matter?

Thus, the consensus also seems to be: You are own your own. That leaves the options to fund your project through CC debt (as a lot of us do), get a second job (as a lot of us also do), ask your parents, girl / boyfriend, relatives for money and other more creative ways to secure filming funds. ;)

Good luck.

No, believe me, I sympathize and understand. I guess actually it was kind of insensitive to post here where other people are just trying to make their own art as well. I have much debt from other films as well... just trying to get funding like everyone else out there using Kickstarter as I find it's system a thoughtful and meaningful one. Boddington's post was ridiculous, but I understand the point.

But hell, everyone in this post should go to Kickstarter, think up some thoughtful rewards for contributions, and start a project. If you can get funded because of it, more power to you.

But sorry... wasn't trying to beg or be insensitive by posting here.

Brad

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

Boddington's post was ridiculous,

No, it wasn't actually. Entire feature films have been made on credit cards, and lot's of people work low wage menial jobs to fund their "art." Robert Rodriguez subjected his body to medical experiments. Why don't you sell your plasma? It's all the rage in the USA when people need a few bucks.

FYI, a lot of people on this board are either out of work or have not worked in months. This recession has severely impacted many of us on this board, and here you come along looking for a hand out.

P-lease, give us all a break.

R,

#8 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

If you hate the teaser/concept, no worries... thanks for your time.

Brad

Erm, I'm afraid a drawn out PowerPoint presentation showing various dissolving views of a stuffed Stag head isn't really going to cut it.

Neither is:
"This is a film about the beauty of life in all of its moments: violence, purity, resolve, confusion, etc. It is a story for most of us who struggle with our own problems and who yearn for emotional, mental and spiritual clarity and understanding in everything we do... what it means to truly be alive... to feel and to be and not just react to our environment. It is a film that is meant to be felt on a visceral level - uninterested in forced plotlines, twist endings, or gratuitous exploitation - and concentrates more on emotional states of being and the beauty in overcoming our own fears, doubts and conflicts."

That's a bit like getting your novel manuscript printed by a Vanity Publisher, taking a photo of it, and saying:

"This is a novel about the beauty of life in all of its moments: violence, purity, resolve, confusion, etc. It is a story for most of us who struggle with our own problems and who yearn for emotional, mental and spiritual clarity and understanding in everything we do... what it means to truly be alive... to feel and to be and not just react to our environment. It is a novel that is meant to be felt on a visceral level - uninterested in forced plotlines, twist endings, or gratuitous exploitation - and concentrates more on emotional states of being and the beauty in overcoming our own fears, doubts and conflicts"

At some point, no matter how distasteful you might find the concept, you have to give your potential backers at least some idea what the film is actually about, because the vague description you've written could apply to any number of films, and could have been copied off the back of a cornflakes packet for all they know.
That's why most rental houses will always ask to see a script when people are trying to cadge a freebie rental, just to ensure that they really do have a coherent project, and don't just want to piss around with their equipment for free.

#9 Ron Lorex

Ron Lorex

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:33 AM

Hi Brad,

As you have probably now noticed, cinematography.com is a mean-spirited site. It has really become less frequented by many in recent years since it seems to be a place where new posters are seldom welcome. Moderators, though listed, are strikingly absent and whoever happens to own the site seems more interested in piling on more and more site-wide advertising rather than participating in site discussions or trusting editorial power to the absent moderators. So in this vacuum of structure reside the never-got-a-life site regulars who are so thoroughly bored with themselves that they can't wait for a newbie to arrive with a crushable post. Too bad that you happen to be the latest crushing du jour, but I admire your decorum in not lashing back at these fools.

Just so you know, this Boddington has no problem begging for help on this site when it suits his crappy-film career. Here's a thread he started last February. Notice how polite he can be when it's his film that's on the line.

Basically it's the "working professionals" that run this site. If you happen to be a newbie, well then they're mostly going to assume that you haven't much to offer them except perhaps profuse gratitude for their knowledgeable replies. However, to be fair, there are some regulars here that are always kind, but they are seriously outnumbered by the weasels.

My advice is that you just find another site. That's what I did. dvxuser is pretty cool. Very alive, friendly and respectful. And there are others too. From time to time I check back here though, hoping that maybe this site has fallen under new ownership and made a positive turn for the better. But after reading through this thread, I can see that nothing has really changed---same old cinemtography.com. What a shame. This site really needs to get sold.

Good luck to you and your project(s), and always just ignore the jerks.

#10 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

There is a difference between informing people know that your film is being screened and asking for funding to pay the cast and crew on your short. It's rather like asking other crew people to give you money to pay your crew. People here have worked for free on shorts and have volunteered to help, and I suspect if a film maker was looking for assistance on their experimental short there would be people here who would be interested in working on it on that basis.

Unfortunately, most shorts I know of that have paid crew and cast are those made under short film funding schemes that have the budgets to allow this. The exceptions being those of film makers who are well connected to private funders.

#11 Marcus Joseph

Marcus Joseph
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

If you except people to honestly put whatever money they've earned whether it'd be a lucky given trust fund or hard earned labour without any sort of financial return (except for credit that is quite meaningless especially if you have no creative or technical involvement), then you're just kidding yourself. And if it's one of those a thousand people on the web put a few dollars then you're being foolish. From what I can tell, most people can't see the project being deserving of whatever finance, no one can seem to tell what the hell it's about. There seems to be this illusion with modern society that money can come so easily with a few tricks and little to no effort, it won't happen that way and if it does, it surely doesn't last.

And to clarify, your request doesn't add up, 2800 to pay for a crew? Well that would mean you have the equipment then? But you say it's shooting won't commence unless funding is reached... what if you only 2500? What about everyone's money? Why can't you move on with free labour for work experience being so valuable? That kind of thing leaves a significant amount of doubt that shouldn't be there.

If funding's needed for a project, it is up to the producer to get it together, not the online filmmakers, cinematographers and students who have their own financial problems to worry about. Let alone have never met you and could see this as a scam.

I'm not trying to give off a greedy vibe, if I had money and I believed in your project personally, and you explained what it is about or trying to accomplish, then I would support it. If you truly can't make the money in the time period between shooting and you do believe in yourself, get a credit card, up your limit, borrow the money somehow. Just as Boddington said.

And if your going with some sort of secretive Christopher Nolan plot pitch, keep in mind that they did that with the audience they were targeting to release, I'm sure he didn't get a 200 million dollar budget by telling Warner Bros it's about the architecture of the mind.

Edited by Marcus Joseph, 18 July 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#12 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

People, please. Give the guy a break.

I don't think any of us have money to burn, but at the same time, we always advise people to try every possible outlet in order to finance their films. Why should Brian be subject to ridicule on this board when all he did was ask if anyone might be interested in helping to finance a short? There is asolutely no need to be rude. As he stated, if you aren't interested, just bypass the post.

#13 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

I don't think any of us have money to burn, but at the same time, we always advise people to try every possible outlet in order to finance their films. Why should Brian be subject to ridicule on this board when all he did was ask if anyone might be interested in helping to finance a short? There is asolutely no need to be rude. As he stated, if you aren't interested, just bypass the post.

Sorry...I meant Brad, not Brian.

#14 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Bill, myself and thousands of other indie filmmakers have paid for their own short films. Asking for a free handout on a public board just isn't appropriate, sorry.

R,

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Just so you know, this Boddington has no problem begging for help on this site when it suits his crappy-film career. Here's a thread he started last February. Notice how polite he can be when it's his film that's on the line.

Obviously announcing on the board where a finished film will be playing is a hell of a lot different than begging for money for a short film on a public forum. If you take that tact then you have also insulted the other DOZENS of professional filmmakers on this board who have ALSO announced where their finished films where playing.

Crappy-film career Ron? I'm having trouble finding any of your work any where, can you post a link showing us all where it's commercially available? "Director of Photography"....yeah right!

R,

PS: Ron, one last thing, will you be putting your money where your mouth is and donating to Brad's project?

#16 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

Bill, myself and thousands of other indie filmmakers have paid for their own short films. Asking for a free handout on a public board just isn't appropriate, sorry.

R,

Richard,

You are preaching to the choir. I just finished a 16mm short which I funded completely on my own. The expenses have gone above 5K over a period of time, but it has been well worth it.

I understand your point. I just felt the replies were a bit harsh.

#17 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

Richard,

You are preaching to the choir. I just finished a 16mm short which I funded completely on my own. The expenses have gone above 5K over a period of time, but it has been well worth it.

I understand your point. I just felt the replies were a bit harsh.

Great, I look forward to seeing it, hopefully you can post a link on-line.

R,

#18 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Great, I look forward to seeing it, hopefully you can post a link on-line.

R,

Thanks, Richard. Need to get it transferred to video, then I'll be able to put something up (I must be one of the few people who still gets 16mm answer prints made!)

#19 Brad Hodgson

Brad Hodgson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

R,

Okaaaay, hey... I get the point! You don't want anyone asking for contributions through a site that is set-up directly for that reason. I just posted on the wrong forum, period. I should be posting this somewhere else other than a place people are struggling to make their own films, right? Got it. I'll remember that in the rulebook.

I SAID, IGNORE THE DAMN POST if you're not interested.

I HAVE paid for my past films out-of-pocket upwards in the range of 7k. Jesus, I said your point was taken, but yea, your post was sarcastic and rude.

I'm totally fine with no one wanting to contribute or thinking the idea looks stupid. No problem, no feelings hurt if you aren't interested.

KICKSTARTER IS SET UP FOR PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF US FOR THIS PURPOSE. So you're pissed off because I'm trying to use it as a tool? Cool, then I'll track you and in the future if you ever decide it's a smart way of trying to get funding and you make a post on a public forum using it as another tool - like your Visa cards and McDonalds jobs - I'll call you on it, deal?

Listen, I want to see great art/films made. If someone else posted something here asking - NOT BEGGING - for help if people found it interesting, or passing it over if not interested, I'd HAPPILY donate $10 or whatever if I really liked the concept... If I didn't I'd just ignore the damn post and go back to searching for ways to rip-off as many unsuspecting people as possible.

Edited by Brad Hodgson, 19 July 2010 - 11:48 AM.

#20 Brad Hodgson

Brad Hodgson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

If you except people to honestly put whatever money they've earned whether it'd be a lucky given trust fund or hard earned labour without any sort of financial return (except for credit that is quite meaningless especially if you have no creative or technical involvement), then you're just kidding yourself. And if it's one of those a thousand people on the web put a few dollars then you're being foolish. From what I can tell, most people can't see the project being deserving of whatever finance, no one can seem to tell what the hell it's about. There seems to be this illusion with modern society that money can come so easily with a few tricks and little to no effort, it won't happen that way and if it does, it surely doesn't last.

And to clarify, your request doesn't add up, 2800 to pay for a crew? Well that would mean you have the equipment then? But you say it's shooting won't commence unless funding is reached... what if you only 2500? What about everyone's money? Why can't you move on with free labour for work experience being so valuable? That kind of thing leaves a significant amount of doubt that shouldn't be there.

If funding's needed for a project, it is up to the producer to get it together, not the online filmmakers, cinematographers and students who have their own financial problems to worry about. Let alone have never met you and could see this as a scam.

I'm not trying to give off a greedy vibe, if I had money and I believed in your project personally, and you explained what it is about or trying to accomplish, then I would support it. If you truly can't make the money in the time period between shooting and you do believe in yourself, get a credit card, up your limit, borrow the money somehow. Just as Boddington said.

And if your going with some sort of secretive Christopher Nolan plot pitch, keep in mind that they did that with the audience they were targeting to release, I'm sure he didn't get a 200 million dollar budget by telling Warner Bros it's about the architecture of the mind.

Cool, no problem... you're not interested. And sure, I may be kidding myself. I may not get one donation. If I don't, I don't.

I'm a broadcast motion graphics/editor by day, so I was hoping rewards such as cutting together personal footage, creating an animation/film based on someone's own script/story, paying for a letterpress designed posters, creating and printing custom illustrations all might be good rewards for contributors. They may not be... cool.

I do have gear. I didn't say shooting wouldn't commence if funding wasn't reached. I say in the project we'll be shooting over the next couple of months. I am paying cast/crew out of my pocket. I thought I'd try to use Kickstarter as another tool - with time and money put into rewards - to help fund it a bit.

I am the producer as well as the director.

I'm confused. Those of you who have such a problem with this, are you reading through the project/looking into what Kickstarter is about?

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine