11 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Brave New World written by Aldous Huxley is scheduled to debut in 2011 although this could be delayed by other film projects. This would be the first feature film of the novel however made for television versions exist including the 1980 BBC adaptation and the 1998 television movie starring Leonard Nimoy. DVD's of these movies are almost impossible to obtain but these films still can be enjoyed by online streaming although the picture quality is bad.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

When I moved from California to Virginia when I was 16 in 1978, I remember starting 11th grade (Junior) in Burke, VA and having to take a punctuation test in my English class, something I learned in 8th grade. So after I passed with 100%, they sent me to the library for two weeks because I was already ahead of my class and they were going to learn punctuation. Then I found out that my English teacher had never heard of Aldous Huxley and "Brave New World".

It's only recently that I learned that that book was one of the controversial books that started a curriculum war in Virginia in the early 1970's, and that fight to keep these books off of the course curriculum (which received national attention) was one of the founding moments for the conservative movement in America. So I guess that explains why an English teacher in 1978 in Virginia either was ignorant of Huxley, or just pretended to be.

#3 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

I think Brave New World deals with the cultural clash of the ethics of our world which would be considered savage compared to a utopian world. For example can you imagine the shock of what it would be like if a person from our world would go to a place like the Garden of Eden and see everyone prancing around naked? We would think that the Eden society was very decadent when the truth is that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. However the conservatives would be right on insisting that laws be enforced preventing nudity in our society because otherwise a woman would be raped. However because there is no crime in Eden such laws would be unnecessary.

#4 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Anyway when I was in 11th grade in 1977 I had to do a book report on "Brave New World" and I remember that my high school teacher was an attractive female who was no doubt of a very liberal persuasion. She explained to me that the savage reservation should not be confused with our Indian reservations but rather was a comparision of our society to a more advanced futuristic society. I forgot what my book report was about but I think it had to do with Soma which was the drug used by the society.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

I think Brave New World deals with the cultural clash of the ethics of our world which would be considered savage compared to a utopian world. For example can you imagine the shock of what it would be like if a person from our world would go to a place like the Garden of Eden and see everyone prancing around naked? We would think that the Eden society was very decadent when the truth is that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of. However the conservatives would be right on insisting that laws be enforced preventing nudity in our society because otherwise a woman would be raped. However because there is no crime in Eden such laws would be unnecessary.

Your posting is VERY, VERY offensive!! :(

A woman is not asking to be raped whether she is naked, fully clothed or any state in between. For that matter, I would also suggest to you that rapists are rapists regardless of the state of dress of a woman. It is more to do with the state of mind of the man in question.

As such your posting is extremely misogynistic and hateful.

#6 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I am sure that you are right Freya because in a utopia, men would receive all the rehabilitation therapy that they need and would be conditioned not to commit crimes. Therefore in a utopia society the state of dress would not matter because the root cause of crime would be delt with. And this utopia can be implemented as soon as society is willing to provide sufficient funding for therapy.

Now another cultural shock would be comparing the diet of the barbaric society versus the diet of a utopian society. Now the person from a barbaric society would consider himself a meat eater and it would be perfectly ethical for him to slaughter animals so that he can keep his family well nourished with protein. The barbarian would consider it unethical to put the rights of an animal higher than the rights of a human being. However in a Utopia a vegetarian diet would be consumed and protein would be available in so much abundance that no one would become malnourished. Therefore in a utopian society it would be considered murder to kill an animal to such a degree that it would be like killing a human. Since in a utopian society there is no malnutrition or starvation it would be considered blood lust to want to eat meat. In a utopian society even the predatory animals such as lions would be genetically engineered to eat grass.

#7 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:16 AM

Thank you for pointing that out to me. I am sure that you are right Freya because in a utopia, men would receive all the rehabilitation therapy that they need and would be conditioned not to commit crimes. Therefore in a utopia society the state of dress would not matter because the root cause of crime would be delt with. And this utopia can be implemented as soon as society is willing to provide sufficient funding for therapy.

I am not talking about in a utopia. Your previous post reffered to conservatives in your present day society.
Your statements are blaming the victim for rape. It is offensive.
I am sure there are plenty of conservatives who would not agree with you.

You also now seem to be suggesting that men would all become rapists without some kind of therapy.
There are plenty of men who wouldn't turn into a rapist at the sight of a naked woman.
Rapists are people with psychological problems and they still commit rape even when women are fully clothed.

The stuff you say is nonsense and very offensive as you blame the victim for being attacked.

There is no excuse for rape.

#8 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:05 AM

For example can you imagine the shock of what it would be like if a person from our world would go to a place like the Garden of Eden and see everyone prancing around naked? We would think that the Eden society was very decadent when the truth is that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sorry, what planet are you from again?
There are any number of beaches, resorts, and other locations around the world where people are free to do exactly that. OK it might be a bit of a shock if you stumbled into a clothing-optional beach by accident, but generally, those places are pretty well signposted.

They don't "prance around naked", either, generally they do exactly the same things people do on ordinary beaches. I think you've been reading too many Chick Comics.

#9 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

There are plenty of men who wouldn't turn into a rapist at the sight of a naked woman.

Yeah, probably somewhere around 99.9999% or thereabouts wouldn't "turn into a rapist" :rolleyes:

What sort of naked women are you talking about about anyway? What age range? 14 to 108?

Are you sure you're not related to Jack Chick? :lol:

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Yeah, probably somewhere around 99.9999% or thereabouts wouldn't "turn into a rapist" :rolleyes:

Yeah that was a weird thing to write!
It's difficult sometimes when you are trying to discuss something bizzare to not end up saying bizzare stuff yourself! ;)

Rapists are just rapists, they are people with severe psychological problems and I don't believe that people turn into rapists magically, even if they encounter purple kryptonite or something! Certainly not because they see someone else naked! (God forbid!)

So even your figure is probably too high Keith! ;)

It's a very serious subject matter, but trying to discuss something so bizzare and removed from reality does strange things to your brain.

#11 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

Sorry, what planet are you from again?
There are any number of beaches, resorts, and other locations around the world where people are free to do exactly that. OK it might be a bit of a shock if you stumbled into a clothing-optional beach by accident, but generally, those places are pretty well signposted.

Not only that, but this one is really going to bake your noodle.

On my planet, I used to study art and sometimes we would have people visit the art college and they would take off all their clothes!!! Then they would stand completely naked and not moving in front of all these art students! The art students would then draw said naked person!! Some of these art students were guys and they were allowed to draw naked people too! (I swear I'm not making this up!) Never once were any of the male students, so overcome that they attacked the model. In fact many of the male students did very sophisticated drawings with a VERY steady hand! There was no violence of any kind! (Well someone once stood on some charcoal and it was a devil to get out of the carpet but that was totally an accident)

Later on, we even drew a naked man!!! Nobody was transformed into a rapist, although I suspect many of the guys instantly turned gay at the sight of a naked man but that is a seperate issue of course. In any case it's okay to be gay thesee days on our planet and it meant the girls had male friends they could watch "sex and the city" with. (Thats a film on our planet but straight guys are not allowed to watch it and most definitely not allowed to like it at all).

We are quite repressed on the planet I come from tho. Some nearby planets don't consider nudity to be all that weird at all. Can you imagine!??!

#12 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Anyway "Sex and the City" and "Brave New World" are totally different societies. Although superficially the societies may be the same with their disco's, big cities and consumer lifestyles, in Brave New World there is an infinite Communism where you no longer own your self, your mind or even your soul but all this belongs to the collective. Therefore although you own nothing and cannot own a wife you nevertheless can have anything or anybody. In Brave New World jelousy would be an impossible feeling because if you found your love you would want to share her with others.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Visual Products

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Opal