Cristian Carceller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

hey everyone,
My name is cristian carceller and I love every part of filmmaking. My dream is to be a Director of photography when I am older and maybe a Director. I got started in junior high for a project and fell in love with it. I love this site just too see what people are up to and is really inspiring to me.
If any one has advice on becoming a cinematographer please let me know because on this site i see that there are a lot of talented DP's. It would be great if anyone could share to me on how you made it into the industry.
and if any one is like me, send me a message and we can chat about filmmaking and share are projects.
thanks
cristian

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

hey everyone,
My name is cristian carceller and I love every part of filmmaking. My dream is to be a Director of photography when I am older and maybe a Director. I got started in junior high for a project and fell in love with it. I love this site just too see what people are up to and is really inspiring to me.
If any one has advice on becoming a cinematographer please let me know because on this site i see that there are a lot of talented DP's. It would be great if anyone could share to me on how you made it into the industry.
and if any one is like me, send me a message and we can chat about filmmaking and share are projects.
thanks
cristian

Hi, Cristian!

I don't have "advice" so much as a suggestion that your read MY book entitled, "What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood." I sincerely don't intend this as some kind of plug because the REASON I wrote the book in the first place was because of questions like yours and the fact that there is NOT a "quick" answer for it. The way to "become" a working Director of Photography is complex and it takes more than a "quick" reply on an internet forum to answer it. So, because of that, I sincerely suggest that you read chapters one through five of the book and then the ENTIRE Camera Department section. I also highly recommend that you read the rest of the book as well because so much of what everyone ELSE does impacts what YOU do as a Director of Photography.

In addition to reading that book, keep abreast of current professional industry news either by Google-ing news about "filmmaking" or by visiting http://www.realfilmcareer.com.

Good luck!

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC