#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I've started getting reels back in the last few weeks and the stock in S8 has really lived up to my expectations. The colors and grain are amazing. The skin tones from my wedding look just fine too. There seems to be some disappointment over it being too saturated or contrasty... but saturation is the reason I go for color reversal film. The contrast is just fine. The stock rides the extremes of saturation and density without loosing it on burnouts, blowouts, or bleeding. If you want something more neutral or flat, I wouldn't make S8 color reversal my choice... there are plenty of other formats and modalities that can accoplish that. S8 100D is a unique choice with unique results and I'm real happy about that.

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:04 AM

The misperception over this stock may occur depending on who is transferring the footage to video. Do it yourself transfer systems will most likely not reduce the contrast, whereas a high end transfer facility can take the contrasty look and actually reduce the contrast, giving more latitude on normally though to transfer images such as back lit shots, wide shots, and one source key lighting.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

cool! finally got 7285 on super 8.. Nice!

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

.....There seems to be some disappointment over it being too saturated or contrasty... but saturation is the reason I go for color reversal film. The contrast is just fine. The stock rides the extremes of saturation and density without loosing it on burnouts, blowouts, or bleeding. If you want something more neutral or flat, I wouldn't make S8 color reversal my choice... there are plenty of other formats and modalities that can accoplish that. S8 100D is a unique choice with unique results and I'm real happy about that.

The irony of your description is that a contrasty stock may actually hold onto the extremes better than a digital video camera can, so when one tries to use a digital camera to transfer the slide film, the video camera cannot handle the latitude of the reversal film stock. I have had this happen with slides. Even when I use a 3 chip, 750 line video camera, I cannot capture the entire density range of what is on the slide film with the video camera, so the same thing may be happening with a super-8 transfer of a reversal film stock.

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS