#1 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Thre is a question on the archivists' list AMIA-L about the edge numbering on 60s and 70s era 16mm stocks (especially reversal). I'm dismayed to find my memory of that is too fuzzy to accurately answer the question.

Does anyone here have any clear information, in particular the system used to identify the stock type? I recall that the prefix of the footage number indicated stock type - a system that carried forward into Keykodes. I might have a list somewhere if what letters referred to what stocks, but it would be buried very very deep in a box: where could I find a list, or any other explanation of the numbering system?

Thanks for any help.
Dominic

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

Something? http://www.filmforev...g/Edgecodes.pdf

#3 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

Thre is a question on the archivists' list AMIA-L about the edge numbering on 60s and 70s era 16mm stocks (especially reversal). I'm dismayed to find my memory of that is too fuzzy to accurately answer the question.

Does anyone here have any clear information, in particular the system used to identify the stock type? I recall that the prefix of the footage number indicated stock type - a system that carried forward into Keykodes. I might have a list somewhere if what letters referred to what stocks, but it would be buried very very deep in a box: where could I find a list, or any other explanation of the numbering system?

Thanks for any help.
Dominic

I believe that the Ektachrome stocks were always identified by plain language i.e. Ektachrome EF; Ektachrome Commercial and also Kodachrome. The colour neg stocks had a letter at the start of the footage number for example 5247 was identified with an F. The data sheets give the identification of each stock. I have a large number of data sheets and would have to read through them all to extract the information.
Brian

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab