Photo

Right Diameter UV filter and Still Vignetting?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

Hi All,

I just got my test rolls back from scanning, shot with my Nizo Pro and Leicina Special, and while they look good, I see vignetting on both cameras in full wide mode; something I didn't see in the viewfinder
Both cameras have the same filter diameter, and I used two UV filters of the same brand, yet I am still getting them "in the shot"....The lens shades used are original Nizo and Leitz ones.

The question is, can I thread a bigger filter on (step-up ring?) or is there a specific UV filter anyone recommends that is wide enough not to interfere?

Thank You,

Claus.

#2 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

Have you tried filming without any filter on the lens, just to confirm the problem does lie with the filters and not that it's just the lens that's vignetting?

#3 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Have you tried filming without any filter on the lens, just to confirm the problem does lie with the filters and not that it's just the lens that's vignetting?

Ian,
That is definitely the next step as soon as I get more film. I just find it hard to believe that both cameras, with two top lenses on them, will do exactly the same thing (but hey...you never know.)

Best,
Claus.

#4 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:00 AM

Besides trying a step-up ring, it is also possible to get purpose built thin filters for use on wide-angle lenses. This example is probably in the wrong country for you, but I'm sure a search around might find a local supplier.

#5 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

Ian,

Thank you for that; I didn't know about the thin filter models. If it turns out the filter thickness is the problem, I'll definitely look into those B&W filters,

Claus.

#6 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

The Schneider-Kreuznach 6-66mm f/1.8 Optivaron lens of the Leicina Special differs optically from the version supplied with Beaulieu 4008 series cameras, but it's physically similar. The Schneider Nr. 30/2 split lenshood designed for that lens (and ordinarily included as an accessory with Beaulieu 4008 series cameras) accommodates series 8.5 filters in an interior compartment. It'll vignette if attached to a threaded filter screwed to the lens.

#7 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Glenn,

Thank You! It seems we have solved at least the issue with the Leicina. I did not know this about the lens.

Now I will just have to test run the Nizo "with/without" to see what to do about that one.

Claus.

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc