#1 Mark McCann

Mark McCann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hey all, im not sure what section to put my question into.

I've been reading american cinematographer for a good while, and im starting to see the terms "3 perf", "2 perf", 35 mm, been thrown about alot. ive been wondering for a good while what this means? If anyone could enlighten me that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance

#2 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

along the edges of film are holes where a claw pulls down to advance the film in the gate from one frame to the next. The typical amount of holes (or Perfs) advancing per picture is 4 for motion photography (8 for still). Because now film is typically scanned and made into digital files for editing, people have adapted cameras to only advance the film 3 perfs, or sometimes only 2, to save 25 or 50% respectively on raw stock and developing cost.

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

The standard 35mm motion picture frame has a 4 perforation pull down. Techniscope was developed as a low cost alternative to shooting scope by using a 35mm 2 perf pull down ie halving the frame height and then optically converting it to a 35mm anamorphic print (today converted digitally). The Italian dollar western series and "American Graffiti" are films that have been shot using this. 3 perf is used for shooting 16;9 and 1.85, it cuts down on the amount of 35mm stock being used, but is converted to 4 perf for cinema release. The use of the DI has made this cost effective in recent years and it makes sense for television.

#4 Mark McCann

Mark McCann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • London

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Thanks guys, Thats great info i think i understand. Im loving this forum so far, learning something new every day.

#5 shanemaren

shanemaren

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:28 AM

3 perf 35 mm is a film gauge which is generally used for chemical still photography and motion pictures. 3 perf films are always enjoyable due to it's high definition television. The advantage of using 3 perf is that it saves one perf per frame in film stock and processing cost.

Edited by shanemaren, 07 August 2010 - 12:29 AM.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Opal

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape