2 replies to this topic

#1 Dustan Lewis McBain

Dustan Lewis McBain
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

I was wondering how accurate the viewfinder was in regards to color, exposer and focal distance.
I had just finished a shoot with the sr-2, and i did all the measurements, however when i looked into the view finder i found that i didn't like the image.(I have done other shoots where the measurements looked beautiful.) However this particular shoot, sometimes it looked underexposed. So i would change the settings to what I found decent.

For film, would I be in trouble if I went into the viewfinder and messed around until i liked the image, or do i need to do the measurements and stick to that.

Is what im seeing in the viewfinder going to look the same on the film.

thank you,

Dustan Lewis McBain

#2 Matthew Stocks

Matthew Stocks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Electrician
  • Denton, TX

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Now, I am only a recent graduate and have shot on the SR-2 a handful of times at best, so anyone more experienced please chime in, but I wouldn't use the viewfinder for anything more than focus and framing. When you look into the viewfinder what you are seeing is a reflected image off of the mirrored shutter, so with color you are only getting half of the story: the color as it comes through the lens, how the film will affect that has a lot to do with the stock you use. And I would NEVER trust the viewfinder for exposure. That has to do with the speed of filmstock you are using, and I imagine only a seasoned pro would know how that relates to the image they see in the viewfinder.

So yes, you would be in a lot of trouble if you messed around until you liked the image, this isn't video.

#3 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

Exactly right, Matthew. A video split will also take light from the viewfinder. In film-land even focus is preferably achieved by measurement and the lens scale, rather than the viewfinder. Cine lenses have very accurate distance markings for this reason.

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Technodolly

Visual Products

Ritter Battery