7 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Anyone had any experience with Kodak's new 200T VISION 3 super 8? Spectra has it up on their site and I was curious about any results.

http://spectrafilman....com/index.html

I am already pleased with the 200T VISION 2. The VISION 3 version should be really good!

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

You really won't see much difference in this stock; a little more in the shadows but that would be most noticeable in 35mm and Super 16 with good telecine. It's still great that Kodak is bringing their latest stocks to Super 8 but don't expect any earth shattering change over Vision 2.

I wish they would bring 50D and 250D to Super 8, it would be nice to shoot outside without filters.

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

You really won't see much difference in this stock; a little more in the shadows but that would be most noticeable in 35mm and Super 16 with good telecine. It's still great that Kodak is bringing their latest stocks to Super 8 but don't expect any earth shattering change over Vision 2.

I wish they would bring 50D and 250D to Super 8, it would be nice to shoot outside without filters.

Any decrease in grain will be MOST noticable in super 8. Any other performance improvements would be just as noticable in S8 as they would be in 16/35mm. There are some really nice scanners out there now days scanning S8.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Any decrease in grain will be MOST noticable in super 8. Any other performance improvements would be just as noticable in S8 as they would be in 16/35mm. There are some really nice scanners out there now days scanning S8.

I couldn't agree more. I saw the difference with the switch from 7218 to 7219. I expect I will see the same with the 13. I am picking up two carts right now.

#5 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

I couldn't agree more. I saw the difference with the switch from 7218 to 7219. I expect I will see the same with the 13. I am picking up two carts right now.

I agree it will of course be most noticeable in Super 8, but even then it will not be game changing or Earth shattering. As I said, it is welcome but Vision 2 200T was a good stock to begin with.

#6 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

I haven't shot the 7213 yet, but Kodak claims it's grain is on par with V2 100T. The V2 200T was pretty awsome in S8. I've used Pro8mm 7212 and 7201, so I think the V3 200T that looks closer to those stocks in grain will be a real treat, maybe not Earth shattering, but possibly? I think the V3 is leaning back to a little more pop in the colors too.

#7 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

I haven't shot the 7213 yet, but Kodak claims it's grain is on par with V2 100T. The V2 200T was pretty awsome in S8. I've used Pro8mm 7212 and 7201, so I think the V3 200T that looks closer to those stocks in grain will be a real treat, maybe not Earth shattering, but possibly? I think the V3 is leaning back to a little more pop in the colors too.

I didn't see much difference between Vision 2 and Vision 3 in the 500T in 16mm. Need to ask a colorist on the 200T. I sat through Kodak's dog & pony show on the Vision 3 250D and even under ideal situations we just saw some slight improvement in the shadow definition and grain. I'm very happy they are continuing to improve but I'm just saying it's an incremental improvement... Kodak's stocks are so good now it will be hard for them to do better unless they can come up with a higher ISO with the same qualities. Like a new 800 or 1000 speed with the qualities of a 500T. I just don't think the technology can compete with digital in such low light nor should they try.

#8 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

.....I wish they would bring 50D and 250D to Super 8, it would be nice to shoot outside without filters.

I have heard that the 50D does not have that long of shelf life, so making it for a smaller format probably cuts down the shelf life even more.

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Visual Products

The Slider

Wooden Camera