Filmmaker / camera-operator wanted in LONDON

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Stevens Smith

Fred Stevens Smith
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

Are you in possession of an HD-SLR / HD video camera and know how to use it?

Our project has major long-term potential, initially it will be unpaid (one date on the 23rd August) but there is potential for payment in the future.

The initial gig is documenting (with me at your side!) a photoshoot for a new food magazine, essentially by young people for young people (www.eatmemagazine.com).

Creativity and enthusiasm are more important than a weighty portfolio.

Please contact me (fred.ss [at] eatmeagazine.com) for information / questions / applications.

I realise there are probably a lot of scammers / timewasters on here, but we're looking for someone who can work with us over a long timescale, filming a good variety of content in professional conditions, with big names, pro photographers and models.

Cheers.

#2 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Phil?

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

Unpaid work is illegal.

That said, most people will happily do a deal on the basis that all that major long-term potential is a contractual guarantee, and under those circumstances a client is likely to find that they're doing much better than just getting one day for free.

P

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Phil,

This looks like it was posted for the sole purpose of cheesing you off!

That said, I have sent my resume to the guy :D

R,

#5 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

I send my website URL to everyone, but yeah, it's kind of a bit too good to be true, isn't it?

#6 Fred Stevens Smith

Fred Stevens Smith
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Phil, thanks for your email - as I said, we don't have a budget to work with. I'm working full-time on this and not getting paid. Unfortunately with creative occupations this is often the case. I presume your comment that unpaid work is illegal was in jest!

Richard, I didn't get your email. If you want to send me a message on here that may be easier.

Cheers,

Fred Stevens-Smith
Eat Me Magazine

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

I presume your comment that unpaid work is illegal was in jest!

No, it wasn't.

Unpaid work is illegal. If you are doing it, your employer is breaking the law; if you are offering it, you are breaking the law.

The TV Watercooler forums are a clearing house for this sort of thing. Read it.

http://www.tvwatercooler.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11

Are the "pro photographers and models" on your shoots being paid?

P

#8 Fred Stevens Smith

Fred Stevens Smith
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:05 AM

[/font][/color]

No, it wasn't.

Unpaid work is illegal. If you are doing it, your employer is breaking the law; if you are offering it, you are breaking the law.

The TV Watercooler forums are a clearing house for this sort of thing. Read it.

http://www.tvwatercooler.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11

Are the "pro photographers and models" on your shoots being paid?

P

No Phil, in general they are not.
That is how it works when you are trying to create something with no budget.
Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to be as self-righteous as you.

I suggest that if you're still lurking around on here, then perhaps you should find a better vocation.

Thanks,
Fred Stevens-Smith

</trollbait>

#9 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11934 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Welcome to London, everyone, where asking to be paid for your work is self-righteous.

P

#10 Fred Stevens Smith

Fred Stevens Smith
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Welcome to London, everyone, where asking to be paid for your work is self-righteous.

P

Phil, as I said, we aren't in a position to pay. Pretty simple really. I was entirely up front about this, and you still emailed. Why don't you just not respond?

#11 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Fred, you'll make a smooth transition to the big time with that attitude:

Indie producer's creed: "Welcome to the brash new (HDSLR) movie-making world where everyone works for free, because you are all so eager to be the next 'famous ______________' that our unpaid project will discover! Crew members: you are expected to have your top of the line gear, which you will supply for free. Expect to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week making a film no-one will ever see, a DVD copy may be provided at the end, and your name may appear on the credits. Enthusiasm and 'the-right-attitude is a MUST! If you complain about anything, we'll immediately fire you, because there is someone else waiting in the wings to work in the glamorous world of would-be Hollywood! Oh, working for free is not illegal, because that is how it goes in this brand-new industry"

Hollywood producer's creed: "Welcome to the union-busting BIG TIME film-making world: because we really don't think crew members are worth what they think they are, but what we tell them they are worth. You will work 16 hour days, 7 days a week and in often unsafe conditions, but if you complain, or try to form a union, we'll immediately fire you, because there is someone else waiting in the wings to work in the glamorous world of Hollywood! Yes, our show has a multi-million dollar budget, but that mostly should go toward Hollywood casting fees and other important costs (like my salary). We expect to make tens of millions in return, but the crew (those who survive) will never see anything back besides meager wages, except credits at the end of the film, and maybe a complimentary pass to the local crew screening while we attend Cannes."

:angry:

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 15 August 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#12 Fred Stevens Smith

Fred Stevens Smith
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

Fred, you'll make a smooth transition to the big time with that attitude:

Indie producer's creed: "Welcome to the brash new (HDSLR) movie-making world where everyone works for free, because you are all so eager to be the next 'famous ______________' that our unpaid project will discover! Crew members: you are expected to have your top of the line gear, which you will supply for free. Expect to work 12 hour days, 7 days a week making a film no-one will ever see, a DVD copy may be provided at the end, and your name may appear on the credits. Enthusiasm and 'the-right-attitude is a MUST! If you complain about anything, we'll immediately fire you, because there is someone else waiting in the wings to work in the glamorous world of would-be Hollywood! Oh, working for free is not illegal, because that is how it goes in this brand-new industry"

Hollywood producer's creed: "Welcome to the union-busting BIG TIME film-making world: because we really don't think crew members are worth what they think they are, but what we tell them they are worth. You will work 16 hour days, 7 days a week and in often unsafe conditions, but if you complain, or try to form a union, we'll immediately fire you, because there is someone else waiting in the wings to work in the glamorous world of Hollywood! Yes, our show has a multi-million dollar budget, but that mostly should go toward Hollywood casting fees and other important costs (like my salary). We expect to make tens of millions in return, but the crew (those who survive) will never see anything back besides meager wages, except credits at the end of the film, and maybe a complimentary pass to the local crew screening while we attend Cannes."

:angry:

Haha, ok, I get it - my thread has become a place for people to vent about the state of the industry. That's fine, but unhelpful. As I said to Phil, there are plenty of people making money doing what you're doing. I suggest, again, that if you have this many issues you change vocation. At a certain point you have to wonder whether you're just not good enough... At least, that's what I'd be doing if I weren't making any money from my vocation having pursued it for several years (although I have no idea about your individual situation). It's very easy to blame the dastardly exploitative moneymen... But frankly, that's capitalism. There isn't an industry where you won't find this attitude. It's easy to moan. Go out and make a film!

Whatever your opinions on HD-SLRs, they are democratising film-making. No doubt about it. As to whether they are inducing bad attitudes in producers, probably. But try being a photojournalist - they're at the sharp end of this debate. As filmmakers you have it relatively easy.

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine