#1 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

I wonder why there is almost no information on the Premiere vs FCP shootout LAPPG did last Wednesday?

Premiere Pro vs. Final Cut Pro Shoot Out!

We are pleased to welcome back Adobe for an exciting first ever, one-of-a-kind event for the LAPPG: a Premiere Pro vs. Final Cut Pro Shoot Out! This side by side comparison is an amazing opportunity to see with your own eyes how Premiere Pro measures up first hand!

We'll begin the evening with Adobe's Karl Soule who will show us exciting new features of CS5 Production Premium. Then he'll put on his "game face" and represent Team Premiere Pro as we put him head to head against one of our skilled LAPPG editor members, Stuart Ferreyra, of TImecode Multimedia, who will represent Team Final Cut Pro.

http://lappg.com/Home.html

From the snippets and bits of information I could find, Premiere CS5 blew FCP officially out of the water. And we seem to talk NOT about 30 seconds faster or something like that.

Here is a Twitter comment from KarlSoule:

..I finished rendering my final output while the FCP system was still ingesting footage!

But in the moment it´s surprisingly hard to get any facts.

Anyone?

Frank

#2 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hmm.. No surprise really. I bet if someone from Apple had been their guest that evening the results would have gone the other way.

There are so many variables I don't see how you could have a meaningful comparison on the basis of a 'shoot out' conducted one evening in front of an audience - especially if the guest-of-honour is there to sell one of the products, and probably has had some influence in setting up the tests.

If they proved that CS5, running on a Mac (we assume?) handled a particular file format faster than FCP3 on an identical machine, it would only be true for that one format. And that's assuming there wasn't some kind of workaround or fix that could've been used to speed up the process...

Still, all that said, being a Premiere user I'm pleased to hear it! :D To me Premiere's always offered a more film-like environment.

#3 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Stuart Ferreyra, of Timecode Multimedia was handling FCP - I don´tn think that you would find a person with better FCP knowledge at Apple.

Anyway, finaly some imput:

This is the first Premiere Pro vs Final Cut Pro shootout held at the LA Post Production Group Meetup ( LAPPG.com ).
The contestants were given 9 tasks to complete in 15 min. Premiere Pro CS5 was completed long before Final Cut Pro.

Frank

Edited by Frank Glencairn, 13 August 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

I don't feel that the high end editing systems ever actually simplified the process of editing to the actual nuts and bolts. Way too many menu choices and options and pull downs and on and on, that's not what editing is supposed to be about.

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets