#1 John Draus

John Draus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Philadelphia

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

ANy suggestions for the best way to light a 14ft by 40ft duratrans? Three 5k skypans evenly spaced (in line with the windows in the set that we will see it through) was suggested. Would 6-7 blonds work, to make circuiting easier and avoid a tie-in? Or any other suggestions.

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

ANy suggestions for the best way to light a 14ft by 40ft duratrans? Three 5k skypans evenly spaced (in line with the windows in the set that we will see it through) was suggested. Would 6-7 blonds work, to make circuiting easier and avoid a tie-in? Or any other suggestions.

Is it night or day? You shooting film or video? what ASA ratings?

I would do a tie in if it were available to avoid any issues. A generator would be better.

we mostly use sky pans to light trans lights. They provide big broad source. From the front if it is a day look or the back if it is a night look. Also for night you can use lekos to pump through a practical window on the trans light to make it look brighter.

Skypans can use 2k or 5k bulbs. so it depends on how big your set is and what ASA rating you are using. When lighting a back drop we usually put a row from the top usually about 8 feet on center or so. Then have a row on stands or turtles from below.

Cyc lights could work too but you would need more units all end to end.

Good luck

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

in addition:

You usually want to light more than you see through the windows so that it appears even and that you are covered if you start doing raking angles. Some usually rig their translights on a track so that the may be pulled down one way or another if it is not big enough.

And you don't want your translight to be too close to your window. It helps to have it as far back as you can so that it helps it go out of focus. But if your set is not on risers, you have to be concerned about seeing the stage floor so you can't go too far back.

Best

Tim

Edited by timHealy, 20 August 2010 - 07:22 AM.

#4 John Draus

John Draus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Philadelphia

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Is it night or day? You shooting film or video? what ASA ratings?

I would do a tie in if it were available to avoid any issues. A generator would be better.

we mostly use sky pans to light trans lights. They provide big broad source. From the front if it is a day look or the back if it is a night look. Also for night you can use lekos to pump through a practical window on the trans light to make it look brighter.

Skypans can use 2k or 5k bulbs. so it depends on how big your set is and what ASA rating you are using. When lighting a back drop we usually put a row from the top usually about 8 feet on center or so. Then have a row on stands or turtles from below.

Cyc lights could work too but you would need more units all end to end.

Good luck

Thanks Tim,

We are shooting HD at around a T4. The set is 45 feet wide and the trans is about 8ft back from that. there are 3 large 7ft wide by 10ft high windows in the set that we see the trans through. do you think 6-7 2K skypans would do it?

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Tim,

We are shooting HD at around a T4. The set is 45 feet wide and the trans is about 8ft back from that. there are 3 large 7ft wide by 10ft high windows in the set that we see the trans through. do you think 6-7 2K skypans would do it?

hey,

What ASA are you rating your camera at? is this day or night? You may need more for day, less for a night look. 6-7 could do it, but there are some variables. Sounds like the windows are very big. Usually we hang a row of sky pans on a grid to take care of the high parts. If you don't have a grid you may have to put some on high stands and some on lower stands. Of the top of my head I would think you'll want a few more sky pans. Than 6 or 7. Maybe 12. If each window end needs a high and low light and then you'll need 8 tight there. and then to try and cover the end of the trans light that's two more on each side for a total of 12. I'm trying to play is safe though having not seen your set.

It is easy to have too much light and turn units off than not have enough. Or maybe you can try and build in a pre light day and see if 6 or 7 works and have time to get more if it doesn't.

don't forget to ask for skirts, gel frames for additional softing with diffusion and scrim sets. Also since sky pans use 5k bulbs too, they are wired with 60 amp plugs (US). If you try and use the 2k method with tie in's you will need a means to plug in a female 60 to a male 20 amp hubble.

Best

Tim

#6 John Draus

John Draus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Philadelphia

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

hey,

What ASA are you rating your camera at? is this day or night? You may need more for day, less for a night look. 6-7 could do it, but there are some variables. Sounds like the windows are very big. Usually we hang a row of sky pans on a grid to take care of the high parts. If you don't have a grid you may have to put some on high stands and some on lower stands. Of the top of my head I would think you'll want a few more sky pans. Than 6 or 7. Maybe 12. If each window end needs a high and low light and then you'll need 8 tight there. and then to try and cover the end of the trans light that's two more on each side for a total of 12. I'm trying to play is safe though having not seen your set.

It is easy to have too much light and turn units off than not have enough. Or maybe you can try and build in a pre light day and see if 6 or 7 works and have time to get more if it doesn't.

don't forget to ask for skirts, gel frames for additional softing with diffusion and scrim sets. Also since sky pans use 5k bulbs too, they are wired with 60 amp plugs (US). If you try and use the 2k method with tie in's you will need a means to plug in a female 60 to a male 20 amp hubble.

Best

Tim

We usually rate it at 250-320, It is a day beach scene, alot of sky and some palm trees. I would have thought front light for the day scene, but the kodak, duratrans site says they are designed to be backlit, as in a light box. In a previous shoot at he same studio they back lit a city day skyline duratrans with 3 5K skypans and you could see a definite hot spot in the center of the pattern. There is no room to back them off so I thought, use more (7) 2K's spaced closer than the 3 5Ks. Do you know what he lumen output would be for a 2K and 5K skypan? I can't find it in the Harry Box book. I'd like to compare them to a 2K Arrilite.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Technodolly