#1 Damien Andre

Damien Andre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Student
  • New Joisey

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

i go to rowan as a radio/tv/film major focusing on film. they dont really have a class that lets you really get into cinematography specifically. i want to find a school in the area that have a cinematography class that i can take on the side. i want more knowledge on the subject than im getting.

anyone in the area know about anything they could recommend?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

While Temple University, Drexel University, Art Institute of Philadelphia, and of course the NY school such as NYU all have cinematography programs, I doubt you'll be able to take it at any of them on a summer basis without transferring to the university. I know for a fact that the Cinematography classes @ Temple, where I went, are highly regulated upper level classed that you must apply to with a reel (and of course if you apply you get into it; but that's another story).
It would perhaps be better just to read up and read up and read up and spend the money you would spend on a class renting equipment, and shooting film (tests, or shorts). It will probably be cheaper and you can take it at your own speed.
There are countless books on the subject and if all else fails, go the stills camera route, shooting film (i'd recommend some slide film for real fun!) and learn the basics that way. The rest, the innate spark of creativity, is either there or it isn't, and must be cultivated through years of working in the field to the point where you get beyond the technical and it becomes another sense to you (you just "shoot" the film).

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Opal

Willys Widgets