15 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I can't remember the full story as of right now, but I just saw a morning news snippit about the state giving new incentives to boost the media industry, and specifically keep the film industry based and working in California. I can't remember what the package was ... somekind of tax relief or something. Apparently California is competing with Florida, Arizona and New Mexico, all of whom are offering similar packages.

The impact is said to not be fully felt until next year.

Do any of you people feel more employed now than before?

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

I can't remember the full story as of right now, but I just saw a morning news snippit about the state giving new incentives to boost the media industry, and specifically keep the film industry based and working in California. I can't remember what the package was ... somekind of tax relief or something. Apparently California is competing with Florida, Arizona and New Mexico, all of whom are offering similar packages.

Are you sure about that George? According to this LA Times article for August 17th, yesterday, CA is out of film tax credit money!

http://latimesblogs....r-the-year.html

Here's the part I find hilarious, "Applicants were selected randomly by lottery and received notices July 1 indicating that they had been approved for the credits, which can be claimed in 2011."

What the *bleep*? By lottery? In Canada EVERY production qualifies for the tax credits just by virtue of being shot here. You spend the money, you get your refund, over and done.

CA should get out of the tax credit game they are just embarrassing themselves.

R,

#3 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

Interesting to read in the box on the left that production is up by 10%. http://bit.ly/100000000dollarsgone

You're not feeling that then?

#4 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

Are you sure about that George? According to this LA Times article for August 17th, yesterday, CA is out of film tax credit money!

http://latimesblogs....r-the-year.html

Here's the part I find hilarious, "Applicants were selected randomly by lottery and received notices July 1 indicating that they had been approved for the credits, which can be claimed in 2011."

What the *bleep*? By lottery? In Canada EVERY production qualifies for the tax credits just by virtue of being shot here. You spend the money, you get your refund, over and done.

CA should get out of the tax credit game they are just embarrassing themselves.

R,

I just report 'em. Heh, blame KGO Channel 7 in San Francisco.

Seriously, by lottery? Wow. That's crazy. Why offer it at all?

#5 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

I just report 'em. Heh, blame KGO Channel 7 in San Francisco.

Seriously, by lottery? Wow. That's crazy. Why offer it at all?

56 views on two replies? You're kidding, right?

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

Well if it'd true, it's about time. I like New Mexico but given a choice between working there and in LA, well let's just say my body's in El Paso but my heart's in SoCal. Like Randy Newman once penned, I LOVE LA!!! B) PS, I WOULD work in Canada, but they're so damn polite up there, it's un-nerving. (of course present company excepted, Richie :D )

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

(of course present company excepted, Richie :D )

BTW, have you got your *bleeping* a** out of *bleeping* fourth gear and got that *bleeping* movie into *bleeping* production yet?

I am ramping up *bleeping* feature number *bleeping* three.

R,

PS: *bleeping* = "gosh golly"

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:28 AM

BTW, have you got your *bleeping* a** out of *bleeping* fourth gear and got that *bleeping* movie into *bleeping* production yet?

I am ramping up *bleeping* feature number *bleeping* three.

R,

PS: *bleeping* = "gosh golly"

Still working on the freakin' money. I should have studied how to be a magician instead of film making then I'd know how to pull it out of my a$$. TA-DA!! :D I HAVE started a couple of businesses up that could help a lot. At the moment, the first is doing well and the second is an established enterprise with an immaculate track record that I was lucky enough to fall into so it should be a good money maker. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll be my own major investor.....so what else is new. :rolleyes:

I suppose it would be easier to just shoot....(cough, choke)....vid..e..o..but I just can't. Video is Satan's media and I gave up devil worship after Reagan left office. I shouldn't complain I suppose, I'm sure it took you a little while to get the cash to fund you first one and Lynch had to shoot Eraserhead over a 5 year period, so why should it be any easier for me. It IS a bit frustrating though, I've got 6 scripts written and keep having to write something else that can be done cheaper than the last. Hey, congrats on getting #3 into the works. What's it about? B)

#9 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll be my own major investor.....so what else is new. :rolleyes:

Yep, join the club.

I can't tell you about project #3, top secret. The problem with my high concept concepts is that they are easy to steal :huh:

Of course I don't mean you stealing it. But the internet has ears.

R,

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

Yep, join the club.

I can't tell you about project #3, top secret. The problem with my high concept concepts is that they are easy to steal :huh:

Of course I don't mean you stealing it. But the internet has ears.

R,

Yeah, I completely understand. I was going to say you can always Email me but then if your concept DID come out, I'd spend the next few years trying to convince you it wasn't me. :D I'll hear about it once it's done.

But back to my favorite subject, me. My newest business venture is kinda cool. I bought the roadster division of Davis Race Cars. We'll be building 3 versions of the venerable, multi award winning design, the street version, street/strip version and the Bracket car/Super Gas full race version. These cars are stunningly beautiful and extremely well designed. I also have a couple of Super Gas Corvettes, a 63 and a 57 that I plan to put together as Street/strip versions and may pull molds off of at least one of them so we can expand our product line.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the 63

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pretty cool. huh?! B)

#11 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

Pretty cool. huh?! B)

This is one of the more unique schemes I have seen to raise money for a film. Selling plasma and using credit cards is totally over done.

R,

#12 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

This is one of the more unique schemes I have seen to raise money for a film. Selling plasma and using credit cards is totally over done.

R,

:lol: like someone would actually give me credit. Hell, I need 2 forms of ID to spend cash, ALTHOUGH, I DID consider selling my blood....but then I remembered my girlfriend sucked that out of me years ago so I was left with this plan. My family's been involved in drag racing for years, my brother used to work for MSD so it's not all that far fetched.

The stage one kit (rolling chassis and fiberglass body) and goes for 15K, a completed car goes for upwards of 60K. We can build 4 cars a month and it shouldn't be too hard to sell 25 to 30 a year. I figure with the proper advertising, I should have enough cash to fund the thing relatively soon especially if I shoot in stages. If my other business holds up for at least w while, it'll be even quicker. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 21 August 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#13 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

If my other business holds up for at least w while, it'll be even quicker. B)

Nothing to worry about the stimulus money is coming. The US gov't is very interested in helping small business people and not just giant corporations where the execs receive millions in tax payer funded bonuses.

R,

#14 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Bush is gone, that's all that matters to me. All I want is to get my movie made, it to be a success and I go on to make a lot more films that are financially successful and artistically fulfilling. B)

#15 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

more films that are financially successful and artistically fulfilling. B)

They can't be both, don't you know that by now? :D

R,

#16 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

:lol:

Willys Widgets