Jonathan Burton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hi guys,

I am about to start a shoot on 16mm. I was hoping to shoot with Kodak Vision 3 200T, but due to light restrictions we may have to switch to 500T instead.

I have shot with this before and had disappointing results. Granted I have only ever got a SD telecine transfer, but the footage was incredibly grainy.

This time we are getting a HD scan, and I have been told by several people that this will make the grain problem far less noticeable.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?? We are spending quite a lot of money on this student film and I want to get it right! :)

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

HD will certainly make the grain MORE visible as it has more resolution. normally grain is partially obscured by an SD transfer.

That being said, I don't find the '19 all that grainy of a stock when lit and exposed properly. Flatter lighting makes grain pop out a lot more than some contrast. I also prefer to rate '19 @ 320 to minimize grain. It helped a lot with the '18 stock so I carried it over to '19 with good results.

Now, one also has to question what TC machine you'll be on and what grain reduction tools they have built in. It would be best to speak with your post house, and perhaps shoot a nice little quick test as follows:

a few shots of '19 in varying circumstances and then the same shots on your 200T ('17 or are you on '13 now?) rated @ 200 and then again rated @400 and pushed a stop. Look and see how the grain looks through your post chain and you may be able to get away with just pushing the 200T a stop for your lower-light shooting.

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

CineLab