Tom Sykes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Manchester, UK.

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hi all,

I'm in my final year at Uni and am looking to do my final year project in the cinematography area, as this is what part of the industry i want to be in. I'm going to be basing my dissertation on specific styles of cinematography.

I'm going to be using this website as a lot of my sources and information as well as other sources.

If you read this and can spare any time to help me, that would be fantastic, so far, the question I am going to answer for my dissertation is something along the lines of;

"How much does a specific style of a DoP/Cinematographer affect the way an audience perceive its images?"

Now this question is only rough at the moment, if anyone can help make it better or has any other ideas which they think i could benefit from that would be awesome.

For this question, i'm looking into researching various DP's and their style and basically after research and planning, making essentially one short, but numerous times, implementing the style of each DP.

Is this a good idea? Can it be better? I'm asking this community as obviously it is by far the biggest online community of cinematographers and is most probably where i can get the most help.

Thanks for reading,

I look forward to hearing your inputs.

Tom.

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1599 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi Tom,

I'm not a cinematographer, but for what it's worth I'll throw my two cents in.

It sounds like an intriguing idea. If I understand you correctly, you want to make the same short film over and over, but each time using a different cinematographic style.

To be blunt, you're probably biting off more than you can chew. It's a bit like wanting to paint the same picture in the style of various masters - unless you're a very talented painter it will just look very amateurish, and the point you're trying to make will be lost. I think the various qualities of great cinematographers are much harder to emulate than just copying a set of stylistic cliches.

But having said that, it would be great fun to see the same film shot in the styles of Yuuharu Atsuta (Tokyo Story) next to John Schwartzman (Pearl Harbour)...

Best of luck.

#3 Robert Costello

Robert Costello
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

I think it is a fantastic idea-

But- you should have your thesis firmly in place-

The outcome is fairly obvious- They will look different-

So much depends on the "Direction" and more so the Editing-

Pudhokvin has a great example where he talks about the power of film editing to change the
viewer's emotion reception....
a shot of an old man cut with laughing children=the old man is happy
same shot of an old man cut with a coffin= the old man is sad

I think Mr. Jaeger's point is true that unless each photographer has a distinct, confident
style and vision, the overall experiment might yeild results less than what you have hoped.

Taking the Pudhovkim example, the experiment would have to control the performance/blocking
and editing precisely in order to show the different effect that lighting, camera
placement/movement, and lens would produce-

Say a one minute scene with a camera pulling back slowly like Ophuls vs the same seen with
the camera pushing in to a close up on the same rails- Intimacy to something overall vs the
overall to the intimate...

It might be clearer if you can find a set of camera conditions and then produce the complete opposite -

maybe a scene that has an element of suspense or asks a question of the audience might allow the viewer to gauge each camera set up more distinctly-

Or maybe an emotional arch that is reached at the same point in the scene- how it feels under different camera/lighting set-ups-

Each person will have a different style, because we are all indivduals- but the tools are more consistent-
I think if you look at this more clinically- free from style, and purely as experiment (seeking unknowns) you might find
results that can be better analyzed...

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Technodolly