#1 Tim Fearn

Tim Fearn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

I've just got hold of a Nizo 801 Macro and some Ektachrome 100D film. I've followed the instructions on the film packaging and left the internal filter disabled since the film is daylight balanced, but the Nizo's automatic exposure meter needle is going way off to the left (over f22). If I switch to manual, I can bring the aperture down to an acceptable level, but I don't know if I'm actually going to underexpose the film by doing this (or if I will overexpose it by leaving it on auto). I'm using Wein air cells to power the light meter so I don't think there is an issue with the power supply being erratic. Can anyone offer any advice?

Edited by Tim Fearn, 29 August 2010 - 08:13 AM.

#2 Andries Molenaar

Andries Molenaar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Amsterdam

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

ISO 100 is way too sensitive for practical use outside. So indeed you get extreme readings outdoor.
Test the camera indoor. Best of course to compare with a lightmeter reading at ISO 100 shutterspeed is slow like 1/50. Don't know actual speed. Check the instruction manual.

#3 Claus Harding

Claus Harding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

If you want to use the 100D outside, get one or two Neutral Density filters to help knock out light and get the iris more open. Then you won't be bottoming out like that, and you will be running the lens in its more 'optimum' range, in terms of optical performance.

Claus.

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:09 PM

With the Nizo 801, the filter is going to be disabled no matter what by the way the cartridge is set up. And you need to set your filter switch to the sun symbol to expose 100D at 100ASA. If you leave the filter switch on the bulb setting, the camera will read it as 160ASA and under expose the film. I've been using an ND .6 filter with the 100D. That cuts 2 stops and keeps me in the f5.6-f11 range. The internal meter will compensate for an external filter, so you won't need to make any adjustments.

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Opal

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks