Plugues Figueroa

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hi

I decided to use gobos in order to compose different backgrounds for a bunch of interviews I have to shoot on the same location. The thing is I've never used gobos in my life. Will any gobo work with an Arri 300 or 650 fresnel light? Or should I pick a different setup? What exactly will I need?

Also, most gobos I've seen at rosco.com look pretty artificial. I'm sure they'll look completely different once projected on a wall, but I can't risk it. Does anyone have examples of footage using gobo shadows? I'm thinking plants, windows. Any recommendation for model number?

First-timer here, any help appreciated!

#2 Jamie Michael Korn

Jamie Michael Korn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I hope this helps...

A gobo, in my opinion is a glorified (but extremely useful) shadow puppet. It can be made up of opaque and translucent shapes paired with transparent shapes.

The shapes that are set into a gobo aren't necessarily the shapes you're going to see projected onto the surface where your light ends it's journey.

You can twist and angle your gobo's to skew and reshape the shadows as well as cropping, enlarging and minimising the effect. This can all be done by by moving your gobo in different directions.

Once you have your lighting set, then it is time for your gobo.

As a beginner, put your gobo in front of the light, then start walking with it while watching the shadow, once you're satisfied you can shoot.

All the best.

Jamie

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

The gobos you looking at are intended to be used in the projector slot of a leko or ellipsoidal fixture. You will never get them to project clearly with a fresnel fixture, it doesn't have a precise lens train like a leko. If you are just looking to project a shadow breakup pattern, try using things that you find at hand, plants, decorative items, metal screening, etc.

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Abel Cine