4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorenzo Levrini

Lorenzo Levrini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

I have an interesting challenge coming up. We have to fake a peephole on the inside of a door that does not have one. Art department will put a fake one on but I would like to have a small amount of light hitting the actress's face as she looks through it, to sell the effect. Can anyone think of any way to do this? The only thing I can think of is to cut a tiny circle of Lee 271 or 273 silver mirror gel and place it inside the diameter of the fake peephole, hide a dedo behind the actress and spot it right into the circle to provide a reflection. This is not a bad idea but I'm worried that the spotted beam from the dedo will be too obvious on the inside of the door.

#2 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Put a LED in the fake peep hole.

Frank

#3 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

I don't see you having much choice with this. If the peep hole has to be in the shot at the same time, you need a real peep hole. If the hole is not in the reverse shot, stick up a Rosco LitePad and tape off a small circle in center to approx light level needed. Spotting a light onto a 1/2" or 12mm area is going to be very hard. Plus, if you have the space to hit the area with a light and the actress does not obstruct it, you probably have room to just shine the light at her face. Putting an LED in the hole is a good idea but it would have to be so small and battery powered - not sure what is available that size to be realistic.

Why not have the art dept replace the entire door with a cheap one and put a real peep hole in it? Then swap real door back after the shoot unharmed.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Instead of the standard small round hardware store style peephole, visit a locksmith and get the type often used on hotel doors. Rectangular, about 2x4, mounts on the face of the door, has a lever operated, flip-up cover over the peephole window. Simple to hide a light source inside. Or go hi-tech and get one of the camera/monitor door viewers.

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

I agree that you don't have much of a choice if you need a light to come through it. I would try installing a real one for the shoot and then repairing and repainting the door when done. Or just leave the peep hole in if appropriate. Or take the old door off the hinges and use a another door with a real peep hole. replace the real door when done.

best

Tim

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Technodolly