4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have a finished 16mm short which I am now planning to get a 2K scan of. I am shopping around for good labs/rates but it looks like I may need to send it out of state for the transfer.

This project was a labor of love and it took me about 3 years from inception to answer print to complete it. It came out great, so I am understandably nervous about sending it to a new lab that I've never dealt with before. I've been dealig with DuArt in NYC for the past 15 years and I had everything for this film done there. But I am told that they do not do 2K scans.

So my question is this: is it possible to make a dupe negative of the finished A&B rolls? If so, how does this affect the image (contrast, etc.)?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

So my question is this: is it possible to make a dupe negative of the finished A&B rolls? If so, how does this affect the image (contrast, etc.)?

The old tradional way was to make a master positive and then an inter-negative with all the effects and the timing cooked right in. The release prints could be made from the internegative. With DI they just make as many printing negatives as they need with a film recorder.

For best results they would bump 16mm up to 35mm for positive step. I wonder if you could get a master positive made for scanning.

The other thing would be to have your A&B rolls printed on the special telecine friendly stock and scan from that.

#3 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

I think the mechanical risk for the negative (properly spliced) on a properly operated 2K film scanner is less than on a wet gate contact printer or a optical blow up printer. Scanning 2K from S16 gives very acceptable results, degrain if necessary,
A proper IP/DN blow up starts with a 35mm Interpositive blow up and a step-optical 1:1 DN. This will now cost you more than the DI route. We still do both the traditional blow up and the DI but since two years traditional is only requested for reprints, not for new productions.
A direct-to-positive blow-up is very good quality but limited in the number of prints you can make and even the slightest effect such as a title is a hassle.
No reason to scan from anything else but the original negative.

#4 John Salim

John Salim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Other
  • Essex, UK

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Bill, I can understand you not wanting to part with your film or trust the postal system, so why not budget a day or two away from home to deliver the neg by hand and wait for the lab to do the job ?

John S ;)

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

Bill, I can understand you not wanting to part with your film or trust the postal system, so why not budget a day or two away from home to deliver the neg by hand and wait for the lab to do the job ?

John S ;)

Yup...I've been considering that.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

CineTape

CineLab