Photo

Photography as a first degree and then a master?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgios vrettos

georgios vrettos

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hello to all the members of the forum here!
My name is george and im writting from athens greece.
I briefly studied informatics but now im considering to enroll in a photography
programm in a private college that has a partnership with middlesex university of london.
The good aspect is that i have the chance to apply for a master in the uk,europe or anywhere else after my studies as i will be awarded my degree from middlesex university.
What are the chances after studying photography to enroll in a different kind of master?
Cinema,cinematography,theory and history of cinema,documentaries,editing are what i was considering to study after as a ma,even production too.The ideal would be to study in a documentary programm :)
Photography is relevant or i will be limited to choose for a relevant master.I was considering to find a more relevant ba in cinema but
the good institutions in greece that give you a further opportunity to study abroad after your basic studies,are limited to few :huh:
I hope that photography can be a stimulous core for what i want to do after.Apart from that i will also try to attend some directing,cinema etc seminars to have a more diverse background.
Any reccomendation,ansewr and help would be really appreciated.
Greetings from athens,george :)

#2 Ben J

Ben J
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:06 AM

Look at the course(s) prerequisites. Most of the time you require just an undergraduate degree but it's not always the case.

Edited by Ben Herbertson, 06 September 2010 - 05:08 AM.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

What is your end-goal in terms of career?

Just know that a degree in film production, or film studies, or photography, or cinematography truly means nothing when it comes to building a successful (economically viable) career. In other words, nobody cares what degrees you hold. They will not just hire you to shoot their movie just because you have a Masters which, I assume, is meant to "prove" that you know how to shoot a movie. The professional industry just doesn't work like that. What counts is what you can do and who knows you.

So while a formal education can certainly help you learn the basics of photography/cinematography, there is so much more to shooting a movie than just knowing the technical aspects. There are logistics and politics involved which most film schools/workshops won't teach you.

I'm not suggesting that you DON'T go to school, but I am just tossing it out there that you really investigate what you think you'll get out of it before you invest all of that time and money.

#4 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

I've been through the grad school experience, and speaking from personal experience, the degree is basically worthless. I haven't even taken mine out of the envelope.

Where it is useful is it gives you access to gear that would cost huge amounts to buy, or even rent. It is also a good place to meet other people, to work on each others projects, and to build a body of work...which is very valuable.

However, you can also do this without being a fulltime student, and getting into debt. There are clubs, societies, groups for networking, and friends can also be a source of gear.

And as far as education goes, I learned far more from a couple of old books, a few choice DVDs, a spotmeter and a Pentax K-1000, than I did in three years of Grad school. All of which cost me less than $500 and a few library late fees.

If you're still set on doing school for this kind of thing, try to line up scholarships, grants, and anything that will keep you out of debt. I managed this for grad school, and actually came out a bit ahead thanks to stipends as a grad assistant. I say, if you're paying to go through one of these programs, you're better off using that money for gear.

BR

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks