2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

I'm considering buying a 5d mkii. I want a great digital stills camera and the fact that it can shoot sometimes-passable video is a bonus. What I'm wondering is how often those of you who already have one, how often can you tack it onto your kit for work and get a bit of return on it?

This camera is all over productions for both stills, behind the scenes stuff, and for the odd insert on red shows and whatnot. I'm curious how often it's just brought along for the ride and how often production is actually paying for us to bring it along and have it available.

#2 Lance Tang

Lance Tang
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just to let you know, some professional productions are now being shot on the 5D Mark II including one episode of House MD that was shot completely on the camera. So don't underestimate the camera's power.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Chris,
I think it would be a better investment if you pulled one of those PL mount retrofits onto it to hold cine lenses. I don't see it being used too much with stock stills lenses when you're shooting with RPP or S4s etc. The fact that it's a nice camera is certainly a boon, though. I'd personally only use it with stock lenses as a crash cam etc. that's just me, though.

Perhaps, also look into the 7D a bit less pricey so quicker ROI with it, and I at least, see more people shooting with the 7D than anything else on low budget shoots (which you can probably rent it out to should you be so inclined). Just my 2 cents. In a lot of ways, the cannons kinda remind me of the DVX, a lot of people have one and here and again get a few bucks off of it, which is great. The biggest difference is you can get a lot more use out of it when you're on personal holiday ;)

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

Opal

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets