#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:41 AM

On TCM, I have never seen this before and it is one of the most stunning films I have EVER SEEN!!!Shot in Sovscope 70 the Soviet Cinerama and directed by Kurosawa, all I can say is WUW :blink:

#2 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Luckily, there are a few surviving 70mm prints. Printed on non-Eastman positive stock, they haven't faded over the years.

DERSU UZALA was shown some time ago at the Karlsruhe widescreen festival, and it was most impressive. On a large screen, one notices they had some problems with very long telephoto lenses, focus pulling seems somewhate crude to modern standards. But the beauty of Kurosawa's images it stunning.

Here are some screen shots, scroll down on the page and click on some images to see them full sized.

Dersu Uzala screen shots

#3 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Link fixed:

Dersu Uzala screenshots (fixed)

Scroll down to post #1490 and click on images.

More screen shots

Edited by Christian Appelt, 07 September 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Antti Näyhä

Antti Näyhä
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Other
  • Belgium/Finland

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

I've only seen Dersu Uzala on the big screen as a 35mm reduction print made in the 70's. It was very soft, visibly worse looking than your average 35mm print of a 35mm-shot film of the era. I guess the optical printing process they used to make the 35mm prints wasn't exactly high end.

The film is absolutely wonderful anyway. Here's hoping that I can still catch a 70mm screening of it one day...

#5 Pat Murray

Pat Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

This thread reminds me Ottawa is hosting a 70mm film festival at the end of this month. Some terrific movies will be screened. Vertigo, Lawernce of Arabia, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc.

If anybody is nearby, you might want to check it out!

http://www.in70mm.co...anada/index.htm

#6 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

Man I wish there was a fest like this in the states, but alas, 70mm is on life support. My Imax 15/70 theatre just went digital...saw Inception there, and could've cried at all the shots I knew for a fact were shot in 65mm yet looked utterly blah.

Those caps of "Dersu" were amazing! Makes me wonder, with a print available with that quality, that Kino keeps peddling their sh*tty dvd based on that mangy old 35mm print.

BR

#7 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

I guess it is a matter of cost. How many DVDs can you sell on a title, and getting 70mm telecined is much more difficult than 35mm.

As for reduction print quality, I never saw a single 35mm reduction print from Russian or Eastern Europe 70mm productions with decent quality. Either it had to do with the dupe stock they used or the optical system - in the book WIDESCREEN CINEMA AND STEREOPHONIC SOUND by M.V. Vysockij (english translation ed. by Raymond Spottiswode, 1971) they describe an optical reduction printer which uses a small glass screen and a kind of Scheimpflug arrangement to compress or expand the image between film formats.

Never understood how it was supposed to work, only a crude line drawing was shown.

In Eastern Germany (GDR), DEFA studios built their own 70-35 printer, but from descriptions, they did not create a new printing lens but adapted existing anamorphics. The reductions I saw from GDR-made 70mm films also looked no better, sometimes worse than 35-35 prints.

Given the fact that Russian anamorphics (like back anamorphosers for zoom lenses or the Konvas/Kinor deanamorphic viewfinder) were excellent, I'd like to know why they never got reduction printing quite right.

Edited by Christian Appelt, 08 September 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#8 Ignacio Aguilar

Ignacio Aguilar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Madrid, Spain

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Link fixed:

Dersu Uzala screenshots (fixed)

Scroll down to post #1490 and click on images.

More screen shots

These pics look wonderful.
"Dersu Uzala" is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen and it truly deserves a full restoration for Blu-ray.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm trying to find a screen grab of the incredible shot of them on the ice and everything is RED!!! They used it on the poster and I found one still but it's darker, not the closer, atmospheric shot that just haunts my brain. In my opinion, the most fascinating shot in a movie that is from beginning to end a series of continuously brilliant shots! B)

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape