Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

Rugged laptop for RED owners...

...and everyone else who has to deal with severe environments on set.

I was looking for a rugged laptop, that can take the abuse on set and found this.

Posted Image

Not only looks like a piece of military equipment, but fit´s the RED design nicely.

The Getac V200 has a 12.1-inch super-bright 1,200 nit multitouch-capable display, 2.0GHz Intel Core i7-620LM processor and WiFi b/g/n, but more importantly perhaps it’s MIL-STD-810G and IP65 compliant for resilience to dust, vibration, temperatures as low as -20 degrees centigrade and water.

Perfectly suited for vehicle mounting or field use, the notebook-to-tablet V200 convertible features a 12.1-inch wide screen display and comes standard with Getac’s exclusive 1200 NITs QuadraClear™ technology, enabling users to easily read and operate their computer under direct sunlight. In addition, the display offers a resistive multi-touch capability enabling workers to manipulate the screen by a series of single and multi-finger gestures even while wearing gloves—a necessity when working in extreme weather conditions or dangerous environments.

Just what the good doctor recommends, thou the price is a bit steep with only 2 gig of RAM.

http://www.slashgear....uted-07101109/

Frank

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

Panasonic do one as well:

http://www.panasonic...b=galleryVideos

#3 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, but the Panasonics look like they where designed by Fisher-Price. ;-)

#4 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

What kind of shoots are you expecting..? :lol:

Up to $5,000 for a 12" screen? You must be rolling in it! At that price a 320GB hard drive is a bit disappointing, and a VGA output limiting.

The wekest part is the hard drive, and I've been looking into rugged ones myself, and they all seem to be regular drives mounted in a bit of rubber padding so I've not been too impressed (but please let me know if there's any better). For instance Olixir offer drives that can be dropped 75 times! Presumably the drive's not running at the time, and the heads are parked..? Sounds like a regular FedEx journey. Anyway, their spec doesn't say who manufactures the drives, so I bet it's a regular WD or Hitachi or whatever.

I think you're better off with a 17" MBP with SSDs.

Or is this a joke post, and I'm missing it..? :D

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

The big plus for Panasonic is that it's a mass produced consumer unit, so it'll be more cost effective than an oddball make with a limited production run over which to amortize the fixed setup costs. Mil Spec 810 stuff isn't all that great, I've had a couple 810-F cell phones, not a whole bunch more rugged than ordinary ones.

Another thing to look at on any supposedly rugged piece of equipment: When it's closed, are there any exposed buttons? The correct number for a cell phone should be a maximum of one, and for a computer, zero.

-- J.S.

#6 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:34 AM

The Gadget Show on UK's channel five did err... a few tests on the Panasonic including "earth, wind and, er, bombs!". http://fwd.five.tv/g...toughbook-cf-30 http://fwd.five.tv/g...-to-destruction

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Technodolly