Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

Apparently the FBI raided ARRI's Burbank offices yesterday and confiscated computer equipment.

Anybody know the details?

There's a thread full of pointless speculation over on the Red site.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:44 AM

From what I got on REDUser, statement to be issued tomorrow by Arri, till then no one seems to have details. Hopefully something unrelated directly to Arri (something going on with another company perhaps which Arri has info on?) But no hard facts yet.

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

INS raid gone bad.

#4 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

INS raid gone bad.

That's what happens when you have a weak border policy: lots of Germans coming over here to steal our research and development jobs, and to make our transit systems more efficient! Next thing you know, we'll all be speaking like the Kaiser and eating sauerkraut!

BR

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

Don't forget about the beer! Who do they think they are, making good and robust beers for us to drink!

#6 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

Don't forget about the beer! Who do they think they are, making good and robust beers for us to drink!

Reminds me of a joke in the UK:

American beer is like making love on a lake...it's f*cking near water!

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

I'm pretty sure it's because the FBI bought a bunch of new video cameras and where then told they are inferior to film.

R,

#8 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

How sure are we that there's any reality at all to this? What's the actual source of the story?

-- J.S.

#9 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

No, the FBI have finally gotten round to investigating the burglary at the RED premises, just on four years ago.

And please RED guys, don't take it out on the poor field investigators; they know it's been a long wait, but like every other government department, they're underfunded, understaffed, and get little or no respect for the vital job they do.
They have to burst unannounced into an unknown environment, full of hostile foreigners on a daily basis. You can well understand their tendency to put this off.

I know; I visited an Arri office once. God; what an awful experience. It was full of bewhiskered old men smoking those silly pipes with the hinged lids, swilling bucket-sized pots of beer and muttering "AchtungHimmelVolkswagen" over and over in in a menacing surly and most disrespectful manner. It was unbelievably stressful, knowing that any minute I could be showered with a bowl of streaming and malodorous sauerkraut well laced with slices of indolent foreign sausage two months and more past its use-by date if I said the wrong word or looked at someone in the wrong way or somehow gave them the impression that I was considering altering the electronic circuitry of one of their cameras to improve the reliability.

Or was that an episode of South Park ...?

#10 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

There are thousands of threads full of pointless speculation over on the Red site.... :rolleyes:

#11 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

But now it's even more pointless since Jim's deleted it.

#12 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

You know Panavision closed and sold everything off today. I got there kind of late and the only thing left was a PSR. Then they got raided by the feds too.

#13 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

You know Panavision closed and sold everything off today. I got there kind of late and the only thing left was a PSR. Then they got raided by the feds too.

Yeah, I managed to get a killer deal on a pair of Genesis's and three new set of Primos. There was a 300:1 zoom as well but I don't get paid until next Wednesday and I don't like putting things on cards.

#14 Michael Epple

Michael Epple

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Wow. I'm so glad we have a site that's chock full of information instead of bad jokes and conjecture.

#15 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Gee, thanks Keith for the sarcasm without emoticons. It's not confusing, distracting, or background noise in the least bit; thanks for contributing!

P.S. I knew it was a joke when you said you'd *been* to Panavision. This website is probably the closest that you have gotten to professional motion picture productions. If you'd been to Panavision, maybe you'd know Geneses is the plural form of that camera, too :)

Edited by Karl Borowski, 11 September 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#16 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Wow. I'm so glad we have a site that's chock full of information instead of bad jokes and conjecture.

You and me both!

#17 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I knew it was a joke when you said you'd *been* to Panavision. This website is probably the closest that you have gotten to professional motion picture productions. If you'd been to Panavision, maybe you'd know Geneses is the plural form of that camera, too :)

Considering most of the regulars here would know I used to WORK for Panavision, your assertion may not reflect you in the best possible light.

And as a far as what the plural of Genesis is, if people have money to rent it, as far as PV clinet contact is concerned they can call it Poxvision or (even Borowskivision), as long as it says "cameras and lenses by Panavision" in the credits.

Anyway it's actually "Genesi"

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab