#1 ramakanth

ramakanth

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi. This is Ramakanth from India. Sincerely I need your valuable suggestion and help to choose the right path in my career in film industry in US. Let me give some brief about my experience.
I worked 7 years as an assistant director for 4 films in India. During the project some of my responsibilities were:
 Research for required data from various sources;
 Responsible for preparing and distributing the daily paperwork, call sheets, production reports;
 Oversaw that the cast and crew is in the right place at the right time;
 Maintained the schedule for each shooting day;
 Selected positions and directs movement of the extras;
 As a script supervisor, maintained an accurate shooting script and recording in detail all information related to each take, scene and take number and printable takes, as well as any notations on dialogue, action, props, set dressing, wardrobe, make-up, and hair in order to provide continuity during shooting and to facilitate editing;
 Supervised the looping work and sound effects.

In terms of equipment, I worked with ARRI 435, track & trolley, 40 feet crane, Jib crane & steady cam.

If you talk about Indian film making, it’s completely commercial. Mostly routine stories or copied, no standards in making (no story board, unplanned shot division etc…a long list) and with 1-3 professional film schools.

I never participated in story discussions. But I have little idea about screenwriting and I wrote a story.

I decided to learn and work at the professional platform. How should I start? Film school? Then which course? Or PA?
Could you please guide me the best way to become a good film maker in US?
Kattaramakant at gmail.com[/font]

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Could you please guide me the best way to become a good film maker in US?
Kattaramakant at gmail.com[/font]

The big question before ANYONE can answer is what do you mean by "film maker"?

Which specific job do you want to do? If you want to be a Director, that involves a very different path than a Director of Photography or anyone else on set might take. Arguably, EVERYONE on set and off are "filmmakers." So which SPECIFIC job are you interested in working toward?

#3 ramakanth

ramakanth

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:44 AM

I think I mentioned clearly what I was....

Anyways.... I want to be a Director....

Suggestion needed... Thanks

Which specific job do you want to do? If you want to be a Director, that involves a very different path than a Director of Photography or anyone else on set might take. Arguably, EVERYONE on set and off are "filmmakers." So which SPECIFIC job are you interested in working toward?
[/quote]

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

I think you ran into a problem that happens with scriptwriting when you're trying to avoid being "on the nose", you think it's there, but in reality not yet clear enough. There are no set paths for directing, but any film school that's worth going to commonly wants to see your work. A good idea would be to make a short film, ideally writing your own script, so that they can see your "voice".

Being in the industry, you should know people who want experience in the next grade up.

#5 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

Well, no. You mentioned that you had been an ASSISTANT Director, a Script Supervisor, in addition to performing some other post-production duties. Then you mentioned camera and grip equipment before asking how to become a "good film maker."

That's why I asked what SPECIFICALLY you meant by "film maker." The path for an Assistant Director doesn't lead toward directing so much as producing in that it deals with logistics.

As mentioned, the road toward DIRECTING is varied. Many aspiring directors "get in" as Writers. Others gather the resources to make one or several short films on their own.

Of course, as you likely already are aware of, the more you know about every job on set and off, the better Director you may be as COMMUNICATION is probably the number one most important skill a Director can have as the job really is all about directing/guiding the creative and technical skills and talents of others toward a common goal. It's not necessarily about imposing your "vision" upon a project.

:)

#6 Sathyan

Sathyan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:13 AM

Mr ramakanth,

India is a country with 70% of the population below poverty line and more than half the population is illiterate. why can't you study about our country and make films on the experiences of our people? why are you planning about u.s. film industry?

#7 Richard Kinkade

Richard Kinkade

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

I think you have a start with a script. I would let somebody you know and trust, preferably a good writer, help you with your script. A good script will go through many drafts. You want to tell your story, but be aware of the fact that it still needs to sell to an audience. I have limited experience, but I think screenwriting is one of my stronger suits. If you wanted I could take a look at it and give you notes. I wouldn't try to revise your story, but I would help with any ideas I had about it, plus formatting into a usable screenplay.

Rick

#8 Roland Zagonyi

Roland Zagonyi
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:58 AM

Well, the fastest way is to write a feature length screenplay, sell it and hope you can convince them to let you direct it (they may or may not let you based on your experience, the size of the budget, etc.). Even if they don't, you should sell it, write another one, and hope that your first screenplay actually gets made because if the film does well, it helps your chances of directing the second script you have, especially if it's possible to make this second film for a lower budget.

Another way is to start as a PA and move up the ladder. This is hard, it takes a long time, but you can get great contacts and won't have trouble putting together a crew once you have a budget. Also, if while doing this, you've been writing and re-writing scripts (when you have time), then you won't have problems getting the script in the right hands.

Film schools are great for building connections, which are arguably more important than whether or not you're a good filmmaker or not. If you want to prove that you're a good filmmaker, make films in India.

If you want to be a successful director in the States, you'll have to make people believe in you. You have to give them an incentive to invest money in you and your films.

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine