#1 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:43 AM

Hi,

Red has increased the price of the R1 camera to $25,000. The camera ships with the new MX sensor.

http://www.red.com/store/710-0010

http://www.red.com/s...s35-mysterium-x

Stephen

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

I was thinking about this, I expect 'Stage II' or similar will reopen so people can retain their R1's & not trade them in for $17,500 credit.

With Epic S35 Brain $28,000 & Scarlet S35 Brain $7,000? a new R1 with MX at $25,000 seems rather expensive. No doubt existing owners will be very happy until Scarlet ships.

Stephen

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Still seems like a bargain compared to the other 35mm sensor digital cinema cameras on the market (ignoring DSLR's). But of course that will change.

#4 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi,

Red has increased the price of the R1 camera to $25,000. The camera ships with the new MX sensor.

http://www.red.com/store/710-0010

Stephen

Maybe it's because they're now made in the USA.
Some of the consumer electronics suppliers I deal with in Hong Kong are now reporting supply difficulties after the fallout from the FoxConn scandal. It's not just the high-end stuff like iPads either; it seems the honeymoon may well be over for dirt-cheap labour in the overnight industrial powerhouses like Shenzhen.

Western customers are also increasingly demanding QC audits that include factory inspections in addition to pre-shipment inspections of the actual goods. "Ethical sourcing" is the new "Green"...

Edited by Keith Walters, 11 September 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

Maybe it's because they're now made in the USA.

Does this apply to the RED One? I thought this was made in Singapore and the Epic is going to be manufactured in the US, although I get the main point you're making about electronics pricing.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:20 AM

Does this apply to the RED One? I thought this was made in Singapore and the Epic is going to be manufactured in the US, although I get the main point you're making about electronics pricing.

Hi,

New Red MX cameras will be made in the USA, hopefully there will be less reliability issues.

Stephen

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hi,

New Red MX cameras will be made in the USA, hopefully there will be less reliability issues.

Stephen

Thanks, I didn't notice that during the dipping into RedUser.

#8 Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks, I didn't notice that during the dipping into RedUser.

Now that they are being assembled in the USA perhaps we can get a better idea of the number of cameras RED has sold? Knowing the number of cameras sold is a great help to accessory manufacturers and the industry as a whole. That the number is probably over 2000(?) is good news for owner operators in respect to ongoing availability of spares ect.

It is interesting that when it suites them Sony release sales figures for cameras but keep any plans for ongoing developments and improvements of existing cameras confidential, whereas Red is the opposite, they have not given any evidence for the number of cameras sold and are keen to let the public in on most aspects of camera development with a daily, blow by blow descriptions.

Both Sony and RED share a philosophy of laying out their longer term ambitions in public, Sony's track record is good at delivering what they predicted 5 or 10 years earlier, with RED everything is apt to change although so far in general, any changes to the plan have been for the good.

Mike Brennan

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

That the number is probably over 2000(?) is good news for owner operators in respect to ongoing availability of spares ect.

.... And bad news for them in respect to competition for work.

-- J.S.

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Glidecam

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets