• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

Disclosure: I work for CBS Television Studios, we make this show.

If you're in the USA and want to see something shot on the Alexa, have a look at NCIS/LA this season. The first episode airs tonight, Tuesday 9-21, 9 PM / 8 PM Central, on, of course, CBS.

If you have an HD set, you can get the full 19.4 Mbit/sec ATSC feed off the air. Often, all it takes is a couple feet of wire made into an indoor loop antenna. The cable/satellite/telco feeds usually use a lot more compression.

-- J.S.

#2 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

Disclosure: I work for CBS Television Studios, we make this show.

If you're in the USA and want to see something shot on the Alexa, have a look at NCIS/LA this season. The first episode airs tonight, Tuesday 9-21, 9 PM / 8 PM Central, on, of course, CBS.

If you have an HD set, you can get the full 19.4 Mbit/sec ATSC feed off the air. Often, all it takes is a couple feet of wire made into an indoor loop antenna. The cable/satellite/telco feeds usually use a lot more compression.

-- J.S.

Bugger. The 10 network here has now dedicated its HD allocation to a dumbass 24 hour sports channel, so it will be SD for us, whenever it appears.
(The 7 and 9 networks are about to follow suit as from this weekend with their own version of the same crap setup).
Anything else in Das Arriworks?

#3 Jason Fobart

Jason Fobart

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Got to watch a few minutes around the middle, over ATSC on a Sony XBR960. In a quick watch I thought it looked good, but in one scene the low-mids seemed really noisy. The old lady was sitting in a car chatting up some retired agent or something.... the shots of him, the low-mids (shadow side of his face) seemed noisy. Anybody else see that or am I just crazy?

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:46 AM

I saw a massive video hit at about 9:08 PM. Freezes, stuttering, black frames. Not sure at this point if it was local or widespread.

-- J.S.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out "NCIS LA." Watching the pilot of "Detroit 187" tonight I could tell it was shot with the RED (primarily). I'm looking forward to seeing the regular series production shot with Panasonic HPX 3000's.

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post