Rodrigo Llano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • S

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:16 AM

Hi everyone.

I'd just finish a resolution test for the Panasonic HPX-300 and also a test for my new Schneider Nd's

The surprise at the end of the day wasn't the more or less resolution that camera+lenses bring but the awful Magenta color that Schneider Nd's put into the image..
I decide to choose for this ND series because good experiences in old works and because a cinematographer option in term of what kind of image I want to create. Before I like that bluish-little greenish tone that add, easy to correct but also kind of beauty. Now the images turn Magenta, like using a minus green 2..
anybody have some experience with that? Is the Schneider Nd change in the last time? Is this camera more sensible to some pigments in the filters?

Thanks

Llano.

#2 Rodrigo Llano

Rodrigo Llano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • S

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hi guys..

here two comparative pics .. one with Schneider ND9 and the other with out any filter...

thanks again

llano

No filters.jpg

Schneider ND9.jpg

#3 linus rosenqvist

linus rosenqvist
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Was it shot with studio lights or in the sun? There might be a UV problem, you do see this kind of stuff when you are shooting with strong ND without hotmirror

#4 Rodrigo Llano

Rodrigo Llano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • S

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

The test was run under tungsten light in a studio environment..

Today I did several test with a Red and the filters show the same tendency but softer...

ll.

#5 Sean Lambrecht

Sean Lambrecht
  • Sustaining Members
  • 77 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Milwaukee / Chicago

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Do the filters have a tint if you look through them? If not, that's IR, and it's normal. Tungsten has a good deal of light in the IR portion of the spectrum, and ordinary NDs don't block it.

#6 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

With film I would guess that it would have something to do with the heel or toe of the characteristic curve.

Digital, I would guess that the IR pollution is the most likely cause. Do you have access to a color meter, or even a densitometer?

You could hit the ND with a transmission densitometer from a photo lab as a cheap way to read for any color bias.

If it IS IR light pollution in the reds, can you obtain IR filters? I'm sorry, I really know very little about the Panasonic and if it has a built-in IR. If it does, over the chip, it should have a light blue tint.

With film, you run into trouble with UV pollution in the blues outside on hazy days. So this is the same problem on the other end of the spectrum. . .

Linus: My understanding was that digital sensors are, for the most part, natively sensitive to the other end of the spectrum. So wouldn't UV be outside of their normal range (unless this were a special scientific imaging camera and not an HPX-300).

#7 Guido Filippi

Guido Filippi

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi everyone.

I'd just finish a resolution test for the Panasonic HPX-300 and also a test for my new Schneider Nd's

The surprise at the end of the day wasn't the more or less resolution that camera+lenses bring but the awful Magenta color that Schneider Nd's put into the image..
I decide to choose for this ND series because good experiences in old works and because a cinematographer option in term of what kind of image I want to create. Before I like that bluish-little greenish tone that add, easy to correct but also kind of beauty. Now the images turn Magenta, like using a minus green 2..
anybody have some experience with that? Is the Schneider Nd change in the last time? Is this camera more sensible to some pigments in the filters?

Thanks

Llano.

CineLab

Abel Cine

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post