Photo

Lens focal length comparison chart anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

I'm going to be shooting some tests with a RED One next week and I'm being asked about lenses. Not used a RED before.

Is there a chart anywhere that compares lens focal lengths for the different capture sizes with traditional film formats?

I grew up using a 35mm SLR, so I still think of 50mm as 'normal'. :lol: So what's the equivalent (the same field of view) for RED 2k, 3k, 4k...?

Cheers! ;)

#2 Robin Herinckx

Robin Herinckx

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Shooting 4K on the Red equals shooting Super 35 format-wise, 2K would equal Super 16. See the attachment for a comparison between focal lengths for different formats.
Hope this helps.

Attached Images

• vergelijking focaallengtes 2.jpg

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

Watch out for full sensor coverage with older wide angle lenses (no portholing) if using a RED.

There's a report on cml concerning Cooke Speed Panchro 18 & 25mm lenses portholing on a RED, it's not clear if that was with a Mysterium or Mysterium-X sensor.

Image Circle for the following formats are:

Canon 7D = 26.82mm

Academy 35mm = 27.20mm

Red Mysterium = 27.98mm

Silent 35mm = 31.11mm

M-X Sensor = 33.54mm

The M-X is 7-1/2% larger than the Mysterium aperture.

Edited by Hal Smith, 26 September 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Watch out for full sensor coverage with older wide angle lenses (no portholing) if using a RED.

There's a report on cml concerning Cooke Speed Panchro 18 & 25mm lenses portholing on a RED, it's not clear if that was with a Mysterium or Mysterium-X sensor.

Hal,

Yeah, it is an issue with the Cooke Speed Panchro 18 & 25 Serues III lenses, as well as the original Zeiss Super Speed 35mm lenses (the wide angle ones) and some of the other older 35mm wide angle cine lenses.

Hunter Richards just shot some 16:9 footage with my Panchro set on a RED and he said he didn't have an issue with the 18 and 25. Don't know if he was using the Mysterium-X sensor version of the RED camera or not.

I think a good idea is to Test, Test, Test.

Best,
-Tim

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

I think you may find this helpful.

http://blog.abelcine...mparison-chart/

Hal, I think you have a couple of things wrong in your numbers. The RED One Mysterium-X sensor is the same size as the original Mysterium sensor, or at least the active area of it is the same when it is mounted in that camera. It is on the yet-to-be-released S-35 EPIC that is will be a larger 5K sensor.

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

I think you may find this helpful.

http://blog.abelcine...mparison-chart/

Hal, I think you have a couple of things wrong in your numbers. The RED One Mysterium-X sensor is the same size as the original Mysterium sensor, or at least the active area of it is the same when it is mounted in that camera. It is on the yet-to-be-released S-35 EPIC that is will be a larger 5K sensor.

Not surprised about the RED numbers, I looked all over RED's website for the specs for the Mysterium-X and had to use dpreview.com's number. In effect a RED ONE underscans the Mysterium-X? I used full frame, not 16X9 numbers as on your chart. Obviously actual aspect ratio within a given aperture effects lens coverage issues. For the record on the Cooke SPII/III coverage, Cooke says they were designed to cover the silent aperture. The portholing may turn out to be telefocal issues.

My current mad hatter project is to get my Angenieux 20-120mm T2.9 on my 7D. Paul Duclos says he can make a native EOS mount that will screw directly on the back of the lens avoiding using a PL mount on the lens and then a PL to EOS adapter on the camera. That lens is reverse telephoto in design, nothing will project into the 7D's mirror area requiring radical modification. Therefore I'd retain all the functions the camera is capable of with manual lenses.

#7 Karel Bata

Karel Bata
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Director
  • London - a rather posh bit

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

Thanks. Interesting. A few surprises there.

#8 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

here is nice software by abel tech for FOV
http://www.abelcine.com/fov/

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc