#1 Matt Bates

Matt Bates

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys I'm a third year film student in Arkansas. I've just put together my first reel from some of the projects I've worked on over the past couple years. Please any critique or feedback would be great!

My Reel

#2 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Matt,

you have some very nice shots, although I like the first long walking shot, the next few shots, which appear to be on a small jib? are much more immediately impressive. You should assume whoever is watching this will watch 30 secs maybe, try to pack into the beginning everything impressive that will catch attention and ask the viewer to watch the whole clip. Also cut the title credit, or make it quicker to get right into the action.

Music - although this has nothing to do with cinematography is an important ingredient for the viewing experience.

The shot of the shadow in the window was my favorite shot, it was good shot composition but more importantly, it told a story in the short few secs it was seen. Try to find shots that emotionally involve the viewer, scare them, make them laugh, good filmmaking makes the viewer feel something.

All in all, this is very impressive work and you should keep trying to add to it, but don't make it longer. The point of a demo reel is not just show that you are competent with a camera, but also to showcase your particular style. Being competent with a camera will get you work as an AC and operator, developing your own style is what will get you work as a cinematographer.

And I know I'm guilty of some of the advice I gave you, but here is my demo reel if you'd like to see.
View on Vimeo

#3 Matt Bates

Matt Bates

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Thanks man, that all sounds like solid stuff. Honestly after watching it a few times I kinda thought I needed to quicken the pace up too. And as for music, I know it definitely needs some, I was just hasty to get the footage posted somewhere...

#4 Matt Bates

Matt Bates

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Just to update, I tried to take some of that advice and re-cut my reel a bit. I also added music. Heres the new link.

Thanks for any views or comments!

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc