#1 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

I have to capture a great deal of footage on beta cassettes. I've got a deck rigged running composite video out to my PC, which has a quad core processor and 12 gig of ram. TO do the analog conversion, I bought an AVerTV HD DVR PCIe card, which has HDMI input, and accepts a dongle cable that covers component, composite, s-video, RL and minijack audio.

Yet when I attempt to capture my footage, I get dropped frames. It's fairly random (sometimes it might drop two or three frames in a ten second span, other times it'll go for five minutes without dropping out). As this is for a client, it is important the video be as best it can, and this in unnacceptable.

I can't believe it's a problem with my system, with its specs as I listed above. I'm wondering now if the card I bought is junk. The reviews seemed fairly positive (except for HD capture, which I didn't intend to use, and so it wasn't a factor in my decision), but now I don't know.

Think I should ditch the card? What would you guys recommend I get instead? Should I get something internal, or go for an external converter box?

Your help would be really appreciated!

Best,

BR

#2 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

This detail could be important. I ran a test, to see if I could find any pattern to the video dropouts, and I noticed that the longer the capture went, the greater the number of frame drops. When I aborted the test at the one hour mark, the drops were occurring every few seconds.

I've got plenty of hard drive space (in the 100s of gigs) and my virtual memory and paging files are set to maximize the RAM usage, so I'm still stumped.

BR

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Opal

CineLab

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC