Sebastian Cepeda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Switzerland

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I've got a question regarding the Carl Zeiss Mk 1 Distagons, I could buy a set of 12/16/25mm lenses for around 4800.- with Arri mounts.

What do you think of the price? Is it cheap or expensive what do you think? they are in mint condition.

The other question that might help me decide too is, can I use them with my Canon 5D Mark II? I guess not because it doesnt cover the 35mm chip right? But they do cover RED 2K and 2K is bigger than FullHD so they actually should cover 5D? Am I right or am I mixing something here?
It would be great if you could help me as soon as possible so that I wont loose this opportunity.
ps.: I will be using an Eclair ACL II converted to S16mm. Maybe that helps with the decision.
Ps. 2: are there any cameflex to Arri mount?

thanks a lot.
Best Regards
Sebastian

#2 James Martin

James Martin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

Sebastian,

I can clear one thing up for you fairly easily, these lenses will NOT cover the 35mm frame.

I believe Distagons are 16mm lenses, now the RED in "2K" mode uses a windowed portion of its sensor which is equivalent in physical size to a S16mm frame.

The 5D Mk2 on the other hand uses its entire sensor (sort of) to generate a 1080p "full HD" output.

I have no intention of using your thread to carry on a debate about whether these things are genuinely 1080/2k or whatever, but you can rest assured that RESOLUTION and SENSOR SIZE are two different things.

With regards to your other questions, and don't quote me as definitive on anything

4800 - if that's a US dollar price - seems pretty decent. However, three lenses, quite limiting. 12mm isn't massively wide and 25mm isn't very long. Now some people could probably shoot a whole film with just two of those lenses, but not me... Do you really want to own three lenses, then keep trying to rent in additional lenses that are similar?

Not sure about Camflex to ARRI mounts, my film knowledge is mostly limited to ARRI stuff.

Hope this helps on one front anyway.

Hello everyone,

I've got a question regarding the Carl Zeiss Mk 1 Distagons, I could buy a set of 12/16/25mm lenses for around 4800.- with Arri mounts.

What do you think of the price? Is it cheap or expensive what do you think? they are in mint condition.

The other question that might help me decide too is, can I use them with my Canon 5D Mark II? I guess not because it doesnt cover the 35mm chip right? But they do cover RED 2K and 2K is bigger than FullHD so they actually should cover 5D? Am I right or am I mixing something here?
It would be great if you could help me as soon as possible so that I wont loose this opportunity.
ps.: I will be using an Eclair ACL II converted to S16mm. Maybe that helps with the decision.
Ps. 2: are there any cameflex to Arri mount?

thanks a lot.
Best Regards
Sebastian

#3 Sebastian Cepeda

Sebastian Cepeda
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Switzerland

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

Sebastian,

I can clear one thing up for you fairly easily, these lenses will NOT cover the 35mm frame.

I believe Distagons are 16mm lenses, now the RED in "2K" mode uses a windowed portion of its sensor which is equivalent in physical size to a S16mm frame.

The 5D Mk2 on the other hand uses its entire sensor (sort of) to generate a 1080p "full HD" output.

Hi James,

Thanks for your information, thats what I thought too, regarding the 5D. So I guess I wont buy them in that case, I dont believe ill be shooting that much with my 16mm camera.

If someone wants to know where to get those lenses get in touch with me.

Best regards
Sebastian

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Opal

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC