#1 neil kerr

neil kerr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director
  • Ireland

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

I have been photographing stills for the past number of years using a number of manual polaroid cameras and feel that I have learnt a lot about lighting in that time but i am still nowhere near where I would like to be. I am reasonably confident when using strobes, softboxes, umbrellas and the usual stills gear but, given that I have very little experience using continuous lighting, I really feel that I need to improve my knowledge of lighting for film.

I have read "Cinematography: Theory and Practice: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers" and "Motion Picture and Video Lighting" and a number of other cinematography books but would like to read a few more. I understand that reading can only count for so much and am also just getting stuck in and shooting but I'd like to keep learning on and off the set.

Any advice on books worth reading or dvd tutorials worth having a look at would be much appreciated.

ta'
neil

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

"Film Lighting" by Malkiewicz

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

+1 vote for Film Lighting.

#4 Guy Holt

Guy Holt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Boston

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

Though it is more technically oriented than the other books you cite, I highly recommend Harry Box's "Set Lighting Technician's Handbook." The greatly expanded 4th Edition just came out so make sure the one you get has the cover pictured below:

Posted Image

As a bonus, Harry Box has put together a free companion website called "Box Book Extras." The website includes the source material used for the handbook, articles by Harry Box published in other periodicals, related websites, a list of production oriented i-phone apps, as well as more in depth discussion of topics touched upon in the handbook.

Posted Image

For instance the section on generators (above) includes a detailed description of generator operation from the initial walk around inspection to proper shut down procedure. Other topics include basic troubleshooting of mechanical and electrical problems, grounding, and how to operate more lights on a putt-putt than has ever been possible before. Use this link for the informative
"Box Book Extras."

Best of all, there is a photo gallery of on-set photos and videos from all kinds of productions showing some really incredible rigs, cool lighting setups, great applications of technology and ingenuity of all kinds. You can log onto the site at http://booksite.foca...ox/setlighting/ with the pass-code "setlighting."

- Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting and Grip Rental in Boston

#5 Joseph Nunez

Joseph Nunez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Awesome book:

http://www.amazon.co...ader_024051582X

also very good:

http://www.amazon.co...86124804&sr=1-1

:)

#6 Kyle Reid

Kyle Reid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

Reflections

Masters of Light

#7 neil kerr

neil kerr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director
  • Ireland

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

I bought Masters Of Light about 4 years ago, lost it and refused to buy it again as it I had never taken it out of the house and so assumed it would turn up. Looks like I have a ghost who aspires to work in lighting. He is also is a fan of terminator 2; he stole my VHS of it years ago. Git.

Thanks for all the suggestions, that's my reading list sorted for the next while.

#8 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

"Painting with Light" by John Alton has long been a basic text on lighting, though it is somewhat outmoded in that it is very much oriented around very intense lighting setups to meet the needs of the lower speed stocks of the period. By today's standards they are rather overkill, but it is still a definitive primer on lighting technique.

Ansel Adam's pair of photography books (The Camera and The Negative) also delve into lighting, and while it is a still photography text, many of the concepts easily apply to the cinema as well.

#9 DashaS

DashaS

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

Reflections

Masters of Light

Who is the author of "Reflections"?
Thanks!

#10 Patrick Kaplin

Patrick Kaplin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

Reflections: 21 cinematographers at work
by Benjamin Bergery

This link will take you to a package that has both this book and the paperback edition of the ASC manual. Both are very good books to read and reference.

The Slider

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Visual Products

CineTape