Jerry Kokich

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I just picked up a Sankyo XL-400s camera and I'm asking a neophyte question. How do I set the eyepiece? I mean, I know what to turn and all, but what am I going for? It's a split-image focusing screen; am I going for a solid line, two perfect half circles? Please help this unknowing one.
J

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

I just picked up a Sankyo XL-400s camera and I'm asking a neophyte question. How do I set the eyepiece? I mean, I know what to turn and all, but what am I going for? It's a split-image focusing screen; am I going for a solid line, two perfect half circles? Please help this unknowing one.
J

Generally, you adjust the eyepiece dioper setting so the marks or delineations on the focusing screen are in focus to your eye with no eyestrain. It is not as clear cut as with an actual groundglass.

Once that's done you can get to the business of focusing the lens. It's easiest to put some sort of edge or line across the center of the split at your intended focus distance, when it is an unbroken line again you're in focus (provided the rest of the camera is properly set up, of course). Also, always zoom in to full telephoto to focus and then zoom back out to your intended frame. Makes focus easier to see.

#3 Jerry Kokich

Jerry Kokich

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:38 AM

Generally, you adjust the eyepiece dioper setting so the marks or delineations on the focusing screen are in focus to your eye with no eyestrain. It is not as clear cut as with an actual groundglass.

Once that's done you can get to the business of focusing the lens. It's easiest to put some sort of edge or line across the center of the split at your intended focus distance, when it is an unbroken line again you're in focus (provided the rest of the camera is properly set up, of course). Also, always zoom in to full telephoto to focus and then zoom back out to your intended frame. Makes focus easier to see.

That makes sense, and it seems to work. Now, for some test footage! I'll keep you posted!

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2427 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Be careful with the split image as it's easy to mistake the straight line. It varies a bit as your eye accommodates.

Wooden Camera

Opal

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine