5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

Check out the new Arri open face tungsten fixtures. I was just reading about the Arrilight Plus 750, I thought they incorporated some nifty new features. They have learned lots since the Arrilight 1000. As the owner of several 1Ks in a rental stock (and replacer of melted ones), this looks like it will be a great asset.

http://www.arri.de/l...750.html#_blank

Key new points:
1) The awesome single ended HPL750 from the Source 4. Probably similar in brightness or slightly better than the 1K with less power draw. Single ended means cleaner beam already plus it gets the Arrimax style reflector, which from what I've seen lately is very good.
2) Aluminum housing - THANK GOODNESS! No more melted plastic goo on the floor and expensive replacements. For whatever reason, no one ever listens to the rental house (or reads the very clear instructions on the yoke) about leaving the top/bottom Chimera flaps open. Now I just have to worry about the Chimera getting cooked - but no melted goo! I personally dislike the Mickey Mole's steel housing, but I quite like the ETC Source 4 Par's aluminum housing - I think this one will be a winner.
3) Built in "speedring" basically for Chimera Video Pros. This is fantastic. Less items to lose.
4) Same accessory/scrim size as the 650 Plus fresnel. Genius.
5) Nice plastic handle on rear for adjustments while hot. I've got to give it to Colortran for putting these on fixtures as far back as the Cine Queen - but their plastic mix was lacking, which meant they cracked rather easily. The the handle on the rear of the Source 4 works quite well, so I would imagine this will be a nice addition with the advantage of modern plastics.

Not sure about the single arm yoke, will just have to see about that. I have some Strand/Quartzcolor Bambino 500 fresnels (basically same as Arri 300 Plus) that are single sided and work very well - but we don't hang Chimeras on the front of them either. The brake disc style yoke looks nice. The new 2K fixture looks pretty nice also, with it getting an aluminum housing and the new reflector as well. No built in speedring for 2K though, bummer.

Posted Image

Edited by Michael E Brown, 07 October 2010 - 08:30 PM.

#2 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Something about the look of the fixture also says, "New design features, cut manufacturing costs". They didn't shift manufacturing to China, did they?

#3 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

I can see how it might appear like that, but I don't it was cheaped up.

Looking at a video of the new fixtures, it looks pretty nice. The sales guy needs to rehearse a bit more, he misspoke several times. I like the very simple lamp change, add that to my list of key points. Still not sure about this single yoke business with Chimeras hanging off the front.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

Honestly, for something like that I might be more inclined to spare the Chimerra and just go with 216 or a silk. I have a Chimerra for my softbank kit, but for some reason I hardly ever pull the thing out.

#5 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:14 AM

I find it's personal preference most of the time. Just like some guys bounce to get a similar look.

For rental inventory though, people still like 1K open face fixtures with Chimeras. I suppose it's a comfort level, plus it's in all the beginner books and looks really cool on set. Oh, and all the fashion photogs use them on TV.

A simple 1K par can into some foamcore doesn't look cool. We can't have that now can we?

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Aye, quite true Mike. And I'll admit to the sin of "lighting and camera for client impression." I suppose with those disc breaks, though it should be fine. My only concern is the twist to remove back, I worry that can get tweaked too easily and then next thing you've got 1/2 of a fixture...

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS