New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hello-

I've recently bought an Elmo 16-CL 16mm projector. I've had some difficulty running film through it and wondered whether anyone could recommend some adaptions to the projector to help my specific needs. The first film I ran through the projector was hand painted, it also had quite a few splices. I had expected the projector to struggle with the painted film as it obviously has a raised surface, it didn't like the film and chewed up the splices. Something that was happening as I ran the film was the pressure plate was bouncing up and down, presumably because of the raised surface. I thought about possible adaptations I could make, moving the pressure plate so it was slightly raised itself, but realized this would result in a blurred projection, if anyone has experimented with their projectors and could suggest anything it would be a great help? Also, along the same lines, I wondered whether a cement splice would provide a better bond than a tape splice?

That was my first encounter, then, just last night I ran a normal single perforated print of a film through the projector, and a very similar issue arose. The film didn't jam and there were no splices for it to chew, however, quite spontaneously after around maybe 150/200 feet of film had passed through some of the tension in the film must of been lost and it began to make a rapsing sound, the plastic film hitting the top of the guiding knob before the pressure plate. The pressure plate also did the same thing as when I attempted to run through my painted film and was rattling around.

I've yet to really have a good look yet, I will do do this week, but I am wondering whether or not the pressure plate is faulty? On most projectors i've used I can see the teeth underneath the pressure plate but on this projector its harder to get a look in, so I am unsure as to whether or not they are properly engaged? Any help would be greatly appreciated- many thanks-

joseph.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

That was my first encounter, then, just last night I ran a normal single perforated print of a film through the projector, and a very similar issue arose. The film didn't jam and there were no splices for it to chew, however, quite spontaneously after around maybe 150/200 feet of film had passed through some of the tension in the film must of been lost and it began to make a rapsing sound,

Check for wear on the Pull-down claw.

Is the gate CLEAN, some folks rub a bit (VERY SMALL AMOUNT) of Beeswax on both sides of the gate to make up for the lubrication being worn on older prints.

Does (DID) the film run well in another projector?

#3 Joseph Curran

Joseph Curran

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi Charles-

Thanks for that advice, I am going to have a look at the pull down claw and try and clean what I can. As for that film I have run it in two other projectors and it had gone through fine, the only difference being that the other two projectors I used allowed for a much more hands on way of loading the film, this projector seems more geared toward a domestic/automatic loading system. Again, many thanks for your advice, I will post an update after I've had a long hard look. .

Joseph.

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider