5 replies to this topic

#1 Denisse Campbell

Denisse Campbell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

This is the trailer to my first feature film. I wrote, directed, shot and edited... It was done in Jamaica. Please tell me what you think. I worked really hard and want to know what others think before I move forward with it. Thanks for your time :-)

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

You may want to post the right aspect ratio version (the image is distorted vertically) for best effect.

And it is hard to judge a movie by its trailer, as paradoxical as it may seem. A trailer is supposed to entice viewers to watch the whole film, whereupon an opinion is formed.

Since you worked hard to complete it, you should move forward with it regardless of what people say, there are always going to be things that people will point out that cannot be fixed unless you started from scratch. So just move forward with it and let it find its place in the world.

Good luck.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 10 October 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Congratulations on getting a feature film made. Yes they do take a huge amount of work and they are a massive pain the a**! :D

I'm curious to know what kind of market there is in Jamaica for homegrown cinema? The nice thing about your movie is that there is a large Jamaican diaspora in the USA and Canada. Toronto has a huge Jamaican community for instance.

Now, some honest feedback just on the trailer. You really need to toss this one and start again, sorry. Or hire a professional trailer cutter to produce the trailer. I wouldn't send this one as a link to potential sales agents etc.

A trailer is a sales piece first and foremost. Second, it needs to tell the story in 90 seconds and set up the main characters at the very least. I can't get a sense of either of these two things from your trailer. Really I have no idea what the story is or who the central characters are?

This can be easily fixed by writing a short script and using voice over or using text on screen that sets up the movie. Watch a bunch of hollywood trailers on line and you'll soon get the idea.

Believe it or not most distributors are more concerned with having a great trailer and poster art than they are about the actual movie. Strange I know, but that's how it is.

R,

#4 Denisse Campbell

Denisse Campbell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks a lot for your comments. I will attempt to do another trailer that is shorter and more to the point. Practice makes perfect!

Denisse

#5 Robert G Andrews

Robert G Andrews
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

There is a lot that may be improved.

Firstly, I didn’t feel excited or emotionally moved in any way; and don’t you think the music and the acting in your trailer appear to work separately?

The trailer was too long and should be under 30 seconds. Think bigger! Don’t feel you have to tell the whole story, rather see this from an ‘audio and visual’ point of view. If you re-edit, why not reduce the volume of elements, to avoid confusion?

And those elements may include: the girl in green swaggering, the sexy dancing, the masked men, dancing in the sunset, the guys in purple and yellow and when the girl says "get help"

Finally, please consider using a make-up artist for all actors, but... like I say, I didn’t feel excited or emotionally moved in any way and that means I would not go and watch it.

Go back to the script, get producer, director, dop, make-up artist, wardrobe... and very good luck with your film :D

#6 Adam Hunt

Adam Hunt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

Since this section is for honest feedback I will be honest.

The trailer doesn't really tell us what the story is about. I really have no idea what this film is about after watching it.

Yes it is hard to judge a film by it's trailer, but in this case the performances are very obviously weak and that comes across even in the trailer. Obviously you can't recast it now, but maybe you can edit around some of the weaker bits at least for the trailer.

The lighting is really uneven and varies from unnatural to non-existent. Obviously you can't do the film over, but a better colour-grade might help a bit.

There is a lot here you can learn for next time and improve on. I agree with others that maybe you took on too much. You need to delegate things to skilled crew members. Let a skilled DOP shoot it, a skilled editor cut it, etc. The performances may have benefitted if you had focused more on directing your actors rather than doing all the technical stuff yourself.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but experience says that criticism is more beneficial than accolades.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Opal

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

CineTape

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post