Photo

My 650 picked up a bad habit: it smokes! Anyone dealt with this before?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deniz Coker

Deniz Coker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Producer
  • NYC/Long Island

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:00 AM

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me figure this out; I've been searching around but couldn't really find a solid answer. Basically one of my LTM Pepper 650s starts emitting smoke a good minute or two after it has been on. I looked inside and the wires seem fine, as easy as it mechanically (and electrically) is. It isn't a lot of smoke but a noticeable light gray plume funneling out the vent up top. It also smells, not electrical but oily. Now I got these from Pyramid Films out in LA and I figured I could always ask them for help as well but I wanted to see if anyone here had an issue like this before.

I do have another Pepper, same style also from them which doesn't have this problem. I've been lucky enough to tip toe around using this light and haven't really used it at all, and I remember it being this way since day one. I think they lubricated the rails inside but I didn't think that would cause it. I figured they know more about these things than I ever will. But that seems to be the major thing that makes sense to me. I don't think it's the paint burning off on the inside either, I mean some paint is worn down towards the front but they are used so I'm sure that's normal. Like I said my others lights don't do this and I don't remember the Arris I used at my old studio having this problem either so I'm guessing it isn't normal. I remember from my theatre days, we would see smoke from new Par Cans and Leikos and I was told it was the paint burning off and it went away after a day or two. Either way I hope it's a pretty easy fix, as of now, the poor fixture is sitting outside my kit with a lonely big white X on it. Thanks for any advice!

#2 Michael E Brown

Michael E Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

It could be a few things. I would venture to say that if you got them used, it's probably not paint but you never know. Best thing is just to turn it on while it's open. Sit there and watch it, see what causes it. If the lamp is too blinding, you can get it to where it's smoking (still open) and turn it off - you should still see what's smoking while the lamp goes out.

Probably just some dust.

EDIT: also just noticed you said oily. Could be someone touched the lamp with their bare hands, and now the glass is melting around the oil from their hands. Might want to check the lamp all around for funny spots. It should not be deformed anywhere or be changing colors in one spot.

Edited by Michael E Brown, 12 October 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

If it hasn't been repainted, I'd rule out VOC's boiling out of the paint. Could be residue from a smoke machine that has settled on the interior surfaces. Unplug, remove globe, check housing for dead bugs being roasted, clean reflector, interior and exterior paint surfaces with a cleaner that leaves no residue. Clean the globe with alcohol and re-install. Fire it up after everything is dry and see if the problem hasn't disappeared.

#4 Deniz Coker

Deniz Coker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Producer
  • NYC/Long Island

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

Michael, JD, thank you so much for your help! I'm pleased to report the light works great. The globe turned out to be fine but I found a lot of loose paint particles and dust in there. I cleaned it out and fired it up for a while and no smoke and no smell! I was really worried it would be the globe or paint which I'd just have to deal with. Thanks again guys!

#5 Jerry Murrel

Jerry Murrel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Little Rock, AR

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

....one of my LTM Pepper 650s starts emitting smoke ......
....Thanks for any advice!

Deniz,

Glad you got the issue with the Pepper resolved. For future reference,
I'd like to recommend a really great lighting guy who is in the LA area.

His name is Chris San Jose, and I can email you his phone # if you'd like.

He deals with all kinds of lighting equipment - sales and repair, as well
as restoring used lighting fixtures - and does an incredible job. (I have
saved thousands of dollars dealing with him!)

-Jerry Murrel
DP, Little Rock

#6 Deniz Coker

Deniz Coker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Producer
  • NYC/Long Island

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Jerry,

I would absolutely appreciate that. Does he have a website as well?

Thanks so much,
Deniz

#7 Jerry Murrel

Jerry Murrel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Little Rock, AR

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

Jerry,

I would absolutely appreciate that. Does he have a website as well?

Thanks so much,
Deniz

Deniz, I'm so sorry to take so long to reply - I lost track of this thread ...

Chris had a store on eBay called light*it*up but he changed the name when he
went through a divorce.

Please feel free to call me at 310 770-0097 and I can give you his phone number.

take care,
-Jerry

Wooden Camera

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery