Guy Holt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Boston

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Harry Box, author of “The Set Lighting Technician’s Handbook” has cited my work on the use of portable gas generators in the just released Fourth Edition of the handbook. In addition, he has established a link from the companion website for the Fourth Edition of the Handbook, called “Box Book Extras,” to a company news letter article I wrote on the use portable gas generators in motion picture production.

Posted Image

If you haven't yet read the article, or looked at it in a while, it is worth reading. I have greatly expanded it to be the definitive resource on portable power generation for motion picture production. Of the article Harry Box states:

"Great work!... this is the kind of thing I think very few technician's ever get to see, and as a result many people have absolutely no idea why things stop working."

"Following the prescriptions contained in this article enables the operation of bigger lights, or more smaller lights, on portable generators than has ever been possible before."

The “Box Book Extras,” site is also worth checking out because it includes other source material used for the handbook, articles by Harry Box published in other periodicals, related websites, a list of production oriented i-phone apps, as well as more in depth discussion of topics touched upon in the handbook. You can log onto the Box Book Extras site at http://booksite.focalpress.com/box/setlighting/ with our pass-code "setlighting." Use this link for my news letter article on the use of portable gas generators in motion picture production.

- Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting & Grip Rental in Boston

#2 Guy Holt

Guy Holt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Boston

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

I have received several private messages asking me if it is okay for me to give away the passcode to the Box Book Extras website since it is obviously meant for book purchasers only because it is given in the book. Rest assured that, as a contributor to the Box Book Extras website, I have been authorized by Harry Box to give out the passcode. In addition, I have a limited number of 30% discount coupons to give out as well. The discount coupons can be redeemed when purchasing the 4th Edition of the Handbook from the Publisher's website.

Posted Image

If you would like to receive one of the discount coupons, simply follow the instructions contained in the body of the news letter article I wrote on the use of portable gas generators in motion picture production that is cited in the Handbook and linked to the companion website.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip, Lighting and Grip Rental in Boston

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

CineLab

Opal

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS