#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:32 AM

In doing research, I discovered Fisher offers both square (maybe rectangular) track and round track for rent, which made me start to wonder what are the pros and cons for each type of track system. I've only been on shoots that used round track (we actually used speed rail) Quite frankly, it seems like round track would follow curves much more easily while square track can be used without special wheels of roller skate troughs but do require tracking wheels be attached. What's the 411? B)

#2 michael best

michael best
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Grip
  • La/SF

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Fishers Square Track was made for fisher dollies so they would not need skate wheels. As a fisher dolly does not ride as well on round track as a Chapman. Its kind of a mute point with Skatewheels and some of the newer wheels fisher has come out with.

But a fisher dolly had no problems running on square track and the curves are pretty smooth. But you do have to be more a little more on top of being "level" then round track.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Fishers Square Track was made for fisher dollies so they would not need skate wheels. As a fisher dolly does not ride as well on round track as a Chapman. Its kind of a mute point with Skatewheels and some of the newer wheels fisher has come out with.

But a fisher dolly had no problems running on square track and the curves are pretty smooth. But you do have to be more a little more on top of being "level" then round track.

That's what I wanted to try with the McAlister. IF I can avoid building skateboard troughs for it, it would be nice so I was thinking I'd build square track and maybe adding guide wheels somewhat similar to what Fisher did. The other option might be fabricating round pipe wheels similar to what Fisher built. I wanted to build a 360 deg track so I can circle a subject (I have a shot like this planned for Blood Moon Rising.)It DOES seem round pipe would be easier to curve that box tubing however, of course no one said you can't use different style track for different shot applications. B)

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

The Slider