#1 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

Would you shoot your short on a Panavision G2 35mm at 4 perfs or on the Arri Alexa?

Money is not an issue at the moment. =D!

Attached Images

• PanavisionCamera3_CER.jpg
  • arri_alexaimg_0078.jpg

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

Depends on the story, and the look we're going for with it, then it would be whichever system, as a whole, gets that look onto the screen in the most satisfying way. You'd have to take into account, look, locations, lenses, and distribution.

#3 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Oh, why oh why am i never in charge to ask such questions?

#4 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

If money is no issue, 35mm is still the superior format, unless you really want a digital look.

Arri's D-21 is actually the better comparison with 35mm film, as it was designed for feature work, different sensor with a spinning shutter/mirror and optical viewfinder etc. The Alexa is a notch down, designed more for TV work.

But between you and me, if you can afford it, I reckon you'd be mad not to shoot film.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

Arri's D-21 is actually the better comparison with 35mm film, as it was designed for feature work, different sensor with a spinning shutter/mirror and optical viewfinder etc. The Alexa is a notch down, designed more for TV work.

The RAW output Alexa would do for feature work. The jury seems to be out if the optical V/F version will come, but in other respects the Alexa is a step ahead of the D21.

#6 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Well, if money isn't an issue, then I'd go for Panavision System 65! :)

But to answer YOUR question, the Panavision 35mm, just because I've never shot 35, and I've CERTAINLY not shot Panavision, and I'd die to shoot both!

#7 Geovane Marquez

Geovane Marquez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Depends on the story, and the look we're going for with it, then it would be whichever system, as a whole, gets that look onto the screen in the most satisfying way. You'd have to take into account, look, locations, lenses, and distribution.

The looks we are trying to perceive is a film look but that's sharp as HD. We want to show a girls skin's flaws, such as extreme acne, wrinkles etc.

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

That's almost a mis-nomer as part of the "film look," has to do with it's softer feeling -v- the clinical look of HD. That being said, 35mm, slower film (100T '12 or 200T '13, or 50D) coupled with great lenses, such as Master Primes, or Ultra Primes on a film camera would look pretty spectacular and give you the "film look," which up until now really can't quite be represented in the digital realm. Of course, a lot will depend on how you choose the post this work.

#9 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I think there is too much emphasis on the real film look and not enough emphasis on the real movie look.

#10 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

depends.

#11 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

I think there is too much emphasis on the real film look and not enough emphasis on the real movie look.

Because the most important thing in a film is getting "that depth of field look"

#12 Ben Brahem Ziryab

Ben Brahem Ziryab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

You're not just starting another film vs. digital discussion, are you? To answer your question, it depends on many things. As for the "film look", it's easy: People shot HD and make it looks like "film", but you never see people shot film and make it look like HD. So why not just shot film in the first place? Get my point? Shooting HD is always a compromise, unless there's a very specific emotional or stylistic purpose in doing it. To me, these decisions are based on the conceptuality and aesthetics of the script.

#13 aFirebird

aFirebird

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

You're not just starting another film vs. digital discussion, are you? To answer your question, it depends on many things. As for the "film look", it's easy: People shot HD and make it looks like "film", but you never see people shot film and make it look like HD. So why not just shot film in the first place? Get my point? Shooting HD is always a compromise, unless there's a very specific emotional or stylistic purpose in doing it. To me, these decisions are based on the conceptuality and aesthetics of the script.

Totally agreed.

Opal

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies